Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 07:20 AM

Default Re: Pushing AK too hard?

[ QUOTE ]
i've learned (unless noted on a player otherwise) that in this situation you fire the flop, fire the turn, and check fold the river... in my experience they call about 70% of the time on the river anyway. A bet here to me is giving away money.

[/ QUOTE ]
I figure the opponent at this point has at least a pair. I figure there is no way he's folding top pair (or better of course.) If I think he might not have top pair, I look at the size of the pot and decide if I think the chances of folding him are better than the odds the pot is laying me. If I think it is, I bet again. If not, it's check/fold.

For instance, if the pot is 7BB, a bet only has to fold him 1 time in 7 to be +EV. Six times you lose one bet, one time you make seven bets. If he folds more often than 1 in 7, it's gravy.

And as far as autobetting the flop and turn with overs, even AK, if thats what your saying - it's not always a good idea.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why call? If you wanted to call, you should have bet out. You already made up your mind when you checked. Hand over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. On the river if the opponent was calling down trying to catch something if you bet they will fold if they missed their draw. If you check they may bluff or check behind. By betting you're often only being called by a hand that beats you.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why call? If you wanted to call, you should have bet out.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the classic only-hands-that-beat-me-call situation.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:39 PM

OP asks whether AK is pushed too hard here.
So I see him primarily asking about the flop and turn.
At least on those streets, this is one of the most straightforward unpaired-overcard situations one can find.

There's only one opponent and a flop that doesn't hook up with many hands. (CO unlikely to call PF with 68 & 89; J9 is w/in range.) So hero's chance of winning the hand is roughly equal to his chance of getting his outs--3 to 1 or so. So he has the implied odds to bet through.

The turn J may create a pair or semi-bluff opportunity for villain (Q9, KQo); but hero should bet and then evaluate any raise. My personal default move is to walk away if I see resistance here, because it's such a suck-ass pot, relatively speaking. I'll stay sometimes to enhance unpredictability or if I have a read.

Once the river comes, I replicate my actions on the turn, calling the re-raise this time, mostly because at this point I'm experiencing sensory overload and impatience (tinctured with greed and paranoia), which prevent me from seeing the hands the board can create and distinguishing among them in any meaningful way.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why call? If you wanted to call, you should have bet out. You already made up your mind when you checked. Hand over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. On the river if the opponent was calling down trying to catch something if you bet they will fold if they missed their draw. If you check they may bluff or check behind. By betting you're often only being called by a hand that beats you.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your suggesting a call because we may have induced a bluff from Villian?