Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Raise or fold?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
definitely raise, you have no reason to believe he has anything at this point (or at least has an ace with a better kicker)

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the great majority of the time hero is losing to an Ace with a better kicker here. I'd call it, but I don't see the point in raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think most opponents are gonna raise AQ+ PF, so that leaves A7-AJ that we have to worry about

we chop with A7, so who cares, so basically I think we could get A8-(maybe)AT to fold.(EDIT - whoops! we chop with A8 too, don't we)

Calling is by far the worst option IMO, we stay in the hand, and we leave ourselves more vulnurable, but I may be off base being that the pot is small, but if i am, i'm folding, not calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

These were my thoughts exactly. Not to mention, the raise is hopefully pushing all those other opponents out.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:18 PM

First of all, a ton of people don't raise with AQ.
Secondly, you're buying yourself an extra little sliver of a small pot if you push out another A (there's only 1 left in the deck if you and the bettor each have one). The original bettor ain't folding.
Thirdly, how are we vulnerable if we call?
Fourthly, there's also a chance the bettor has a slowplayed K.
I think raising here kinda blows.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, a ton of people don't raise with AQ.
Secondly, you're buying yourself an extra sliver of a small pot if you push out another A (there's only 1 left in the deck if you and the bettor each have one). The original bettor ain't folding. There's also a chance the bettor has a slowplayed K.
I think raising here kinda blows.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't expect to get the original bettor to fold, I'm putting him on a wide range of hands right now.

I just think that calling is the worst of both worlds
Old 07-11-2005, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't expect to get the original bettor to fold, I'm putting him on a wide range of hands right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's not. You're praying somebody has the case A so that you can "steal" an extra little fraction of a split pot. That reward doesn't come close to matching the risk.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it's not. You're praying somebody has the case A so that you can "steal" an extra little fraction of a split pot. That reward doesn't come close to matching the risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

you may be praying that, I'm trying to get better hands to fold.

More I think about this, the more I'm starting to lean towards folding since the pot is tiny and we don't have solid reads.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:50 PM

I just realized a couple of other things. First off, MP may have slowplayed a King. (someone else mentioned that above too.)

But also, if MP has an Ace and not a King, a high card on the river could counterfeit his kicker and create a chop because you'd both have two pairs with the kicker on the board. So I think it's worth staying in here, but I still see more downside than upside potential with a raise.

It's also possible that MP is bluffing into the scary Ace, but absent a read, I wouldn't count on that. I don't see real often at .5/1. (If this is .5/1- OP didn't say what limit it was. The higher the limits, the trickier the average player gets, it seems.)
Old 07-11-2005, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] What better hands might those be? The point is, the case A HAS to be out to even have a chance of getting somebody with a chopping hand to fold. A better hand isn't folding unless somebody with a K misclicks.
I'm not praying for anything.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A better hand isn't folding unless somebody with a K misclicks.
I'm not praying for anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

A better hand is also anybody with a higher kicker

and you said you were:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and as I said, I'm starting to lean more towards folding cause the most likely positive senario is that we split a small pot
Old 07-11-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

and you said you were:

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, you're really reaching for semantics now...
I wrote that because *IF* I wanted to raise, that would hypothetically have to be my line of thinking, because it's the ONLY reason to raise.
It's a ridiculous rationalization, and thus raising sucks. Got it?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

and you said you were:

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, you're really reaching for semantics now...
I wrote that because *IF* I wanted to raise, that would hypothetically have to be my line of thinking, because it's the ONLY reason to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, sorry if it came off as insulting/personal. I was just saying you did say that in your post, and thats what I assumed