Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Chasing a flush in NL50

Fimbul is referring to the ace and the flush outs. I like how Hero played the hand, except I would've made a small value bet on the river instead of going all in - your hand isn't concealed at all, and you're never going to get called if you push. The problem with checkraising the flop here is that it puts you in an ugly situation if a brick hits on fourth street and you get callers. If you push "no matter what hits" on fourth street, then you've lost half your equity if you miss on the turn and get called again.

If you want to play it more aggressively, I would suggest leading and then pushing if you get raised.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:04 PM

I think it would be premature to assume he can count his ace outs as good. The villain could be have called the raise with AK or Kxs and hit 2 pair. One must also consider the possibilities of a set.

I think the villain is correctly betting him so that he doesn't have correct odds for a flush draw.

If he had flopped top pair and a flush draw or a straight and flush draw I could understand. But he's got a flush draw and one overcard which may not be good... This seems marginal. The only thing I like about showing strength is the fold equity.

Am I totally off here? I thought I understood the math pretty well. It seems this is a marginal draw headsup against one opponent making him call a pot sized bet.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:29 PM

It is important to note that you are roughly 48% TO MAKE YOUR HAND - not TO WIN.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be premature to assume he can count his ace outs as good. The villain could be have called the raise with AK or Kxs and hit 2 pair. One must also consider the possibilities of a set.

[/ QUOTE ]
True, but this is a 6 max table, so somewhat less likely. The ace can be reasonably valued at 1.5 outs, imo.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the villain is correctly betting him so that he doesn't have correct odds for a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

When the opposing player bets, there is a caller inbetween Villain and Hero. He's getting a reasonable price to try and hit his 10.5 out draw. If the bettor or the player that's calling has a small flush draw, Hero could win a very large pot indeed if he hits. I believe both calls are completely okay.
[ QUOTE ]
If he had flopped top pair and a flush draw or a straight and flush draw I could understand. But he's got a flush draw and one overcard which may not be good... This seems marginal. The only thing I like about showing strength is the fold equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a marginal draw by any means. It's not as good as a pair + a flush draw or an OESF draw, but 10.5 + implied odds if there's a smaller flush draw out there is definitely worth playing. I think Hero played it reasonably well. If he wants to be aggressive with it, I like leading / pushing a raise, but there's nothing wrong with checking and calling here.

The pot has 3 players btw, not two, which is important as far as the price Hero is getting.