Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 04:49 AM

Default Re: Hey Ed Miller!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Let me clear that up....

Raising with AA-QQ and moving all-in is a good move.

Raising with A-X or another good high hand that has not hit - that is what I was not particularly recommending in a loose nl game.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is very wrong. Certainly it is important to take the flop texture into account, but most of the time when you get called you are at worst just a little behind.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That is very wrong. Certainly it is important to take the flop texture into account, but most of the time when you get called you are at worst just a little behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flop bet was one of the biggest sources of frustration for me when I first started tooling around with short-stack low stakes NL. You mean I raise 4xBB with KK, get called in three places, then have to just basically hand the rest of my money over to whoever made a hand when I'm first to act and the flop comes A27?

If that's happening to you (the OP) frequently, however, it signifies that you need to increase the amount of your raises. Not to knock anybody out, you understand, but to charge them more when you have the advantage - if three of them are willing to pay 4BB, then they might be willing to pay five or six. That way, they not only get charged the most when they have the worst of it, but their reward for beating the odds and hitting the flop with their AT or 77 is paltry.

Another way to look at it: say you ran a carnival booth where you charged $50 for a person to step right up and try to throw a grain of salt through the eye of a needle at thirty paces. And if they win, you hand them their fifty dollars back, plus a shiny new nickel. Would you really be that upset if someone won every once in a while?
Old 07-04-2005, 09:20 AM

Default Re: Trying Mr. Miller\'s \"winning\" short stack strategy from GSIH

You guys probably just blow at poker is my guess. I doubt it's variance. Reread the strategy and make sure you are making plays vs the right opponents at the right times.

If you are playing shortstack strategy, it's most likely not profitable to play pocket pairs for set value OR suited connectors at all, just my 2 cents. I haven't read miller's advice yet, but my intuition tells me that pocket pairs for set value won't work and suited connectors won't work. Those hands are best for busting hands like AA or two pair or something, it just costs too much to see a flop with them relative to how much you'll win as a shortstack.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are playing shortstack strategy, it's most likely not profitable to play pocket pairs for set value OR suited connectors at all, just my 2 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Miller recommends calling on the button and co with all pairs and with two suited cards T+. The implied odds are with near certainty limited by your stack, and 20 is by far enough to call with baby pairs.

I personally call with suited connectors as well, but not one or two gaps.

I don't call with anything on the button/co if my stack has been blinded down to 10bb or less.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:31 PM

Maybe vulturesrow....

But if there is such a lack of success in this player's game, then maybe the move is not a great one to make, in that particular game (or players in the pot).

In my game, I make that same move over and over with AA-QQ, and people pay me off almost every time. "Oh man, I might catch runner runner here..."

Haha, it's funny.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:44 PM

Could someone give me the basics of this strategy so I know what's under discussion? I haven't seen a copy of GSIH yet.

Is this a tournament thing? Live cash ring game thing etc.?
Old 07-04-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Could someone give me the basics of this strategy so I know what's under discussion? I haven't seen a copy of GSIH yet.

Is this a tournament thing? Live cash ring game thing etc.?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a cash game thing.

BUY THE BOOK! IT'S CHEAP! and GOOD!

Save Ed Miller from poverty!!!
Old 07-04-2005, 03:16 PM

It's a cash game thing. You might recall that TOP mentions there are some good things about being short stacked. This is how you utterly and totally abuse it in NL Texas Hold'em.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys probably just blow at poker is my guess. I doubt it's variance. Reread the strategy and make sure you are making plays vs the right opponents at the right times.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read miller's advice yet

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a cash game thing.

BUY THE BOOK! IT'S CHEAP! and GOOD!

Save Ed Miller from poverty!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, quickly, before the Mirage regulars take all his money! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]