Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: I know I\'m thinking irrationally, but I can\'t seem to help it!

Emotional involvement is the downfall of good poker play.

I would consider how much of a factor this will be before you continue.

Especially when money is involved.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:27 PM

Thank you all for the replies. I will definitely try 2 tabling instead of 4 when I hear the tilt monster ringing my doorbell. I oftentimes find myself in "fly swatting" mode when I become frustrated with a rough run of cards in which I feel like the tables are popping up ridiculously quickly. Obviously this is something I need to deal with, and playing less tables is wonderful advice.

I believe there is a deeprooted network of influences that create my emotional shortcomings at the poker tables. I smoke altogether too much pot (which is to say I smoke it, period), which in turn suppresses my emotions and disconnects me from a healthy, rational thought process at times. I've quit smoking "forever" about 5 times already, and my inability to stay away from it is proof that I need some overall psychological help.

Luckily I'm a college student with access to free psychotherapy, which I've taken advantage of in the past and I will certainly return to it. It may not be the absolute best, but it has helped me immensely and I am confident it can continue to aid my growth as a person.

Thanks again, this thread has been wonderful for me. Simply getting my thoughts out there was a huge first step, and the replies were fantastic. I appreciate the help.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:42 PM

The good thing is you're admitting you have problems. You might want to try telling this to people you love and possibly are hurting, as opposed to us strangers. (whether through excessive borrowing of money or any other abuse). It may give you a better grasp of how damaging addicting gambling can become.

Also, be careful of using your troubles as a "crutch". I.e. "oh i know and realize it so i'm gonna do this anyways." Sort of like "Worm" in Rounders. Low self-esteem is usually the culprit in this type of behavior so psychotherapy seems a positive step.

Also, remember, psychotherapy in itself is not a solution. Unfortunately, the solution requires active participation. Even more unfortunately, this may entail quitting gambling/poker, etc. WHich, trust me, I know, HURTS to think about that.

The other alternative is to monitor your gambling like a sieve... And i mean TIGHTLY. Bankroll precisely, set a limit for yourself, buy in with only a certain amount, etc.
Self control is crucial. The hands you get, the complexity of variance, all are enemies against you. But if you play when you're winning, and quit early when you're losing, it can be greatly reduced.

Basically, like life, you can't go on scott-free... IT;s fun, but there is a tremendous amount of discipline needed.

Lastly... DO NOT MULTITABLE in NL... NOT EVEN 2 TABLES...
You seem to tilt like a mofo... Your tilt carries on to two tables... So you're losing basically twice the amount....
ONE TABLE ONE TABLE ONE TABLE ONE TABLE ONE TABLE ONE TABLE ONE TABLE ONE TABLE ONE TABLE ONE TABLE ONE TABLE ONE TABLE ONE TABLE ONE TABLE ONE TABLE ONE TABLE ONE TABLE ONE TABLE ONE TABLE ONE TABLE ONE TABLE