Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: I can\'t tell if they are joking or not....

This site has got to be a joke, just look at this ridiculous paragraph in the FAQ:

26. Is it standard procedure to do the "motions" (i.e., scissors cutting the paper, or paper covering rock, or rock smashing scissors)?

Submitted by Mike and Kim of Roanoke, Virginia

The RPS Steering Committee made a ruling on this very issue in the late 80s. It was once common practice to "ritualize the win", as it was called, but unfortunately for a promising young player it was disastrous. In a hotly contested semi-final round Mustafa Nwenge of Kenya pulled a scissors and had the ligments in his index finger crushed by the overzealous rock of a Swedish contestant. Needless to say, the RPS Steering Committee ruled out ritualized wins for professional play. Sadly, Mustafa was never able to play competitively again, but we have been informed that he is in very hot demand as a motivational speaker.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Opening Moves

The number of opening moves is limited only by your imagination.

"To the beginner the choices are few, to the expert the choices are many."

-Wojek Smallsoa, as quoted in The Trio of Hands, 1962

The most common opening moves tend to be Rock, Paper or Scissors. Proper use of the opening move is crucial to success in the game and can secure the advantage for the remainder of the match. Let's take each of the basic opening moves in turn:

Rock: Use of rock as an opening move is seen by many players to be a sign of aggression. Rock also happens to be the most effortless of the throws and fast reactions are never required to employ it with success. By careful examination of the options and atmosphere of play, a well-placed rock will crush a carelessly thrown pair of scissors every time.

Paper: Paper is actually the most challenging of the basic opening moves since it requires the manual displacement of the most digits. It is therefore generally viewed as the least obvious of opening throws. Should you open with a paper be forwarned that a reply of scissors will cut you down to size in no time flat.

Scissors: Opening with a pair of scissors assumes that you are playing against an opponent who has tight control over their aggressive tendencies and therefore may not open with a scissor-smashing rock . One of the main pitfalls of opening with scissors is the tendency by many to reveal the throw too early, allowing an experienced opponent to easily counter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the basic rules section. My god, some of that stuff is hilarious.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Read the basic rules section. My god, some of that stuff is hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is hilarious, but the comedy is entirely unintentional, i can assure you.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:39 PM

RPS seems legit. here's a tip. ALWAYS start off with rock.