Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Don\'t Multi State Lotteries violate the Wire Act?

I would guess that the key here is "substantial source of income or livelihood" and then applying it to the lottery with the idea that nobody plays the lottery as a job, while they would/could play poker as a job. You can plan on a certain level of income from poker, but you couldn't with the lottery.

Is it still stupid? Sure. Welcome to politics.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:17 PM

I wanna see the powers to be come to my house and take me to jail for playing poker over the internet. I wanna see the judge that takes that case. Why? because there is NO law saying that internet gambling is illegal. Internet gambling is in the little grey area and until a law/laws are written to put in on the illegal side, no one is going to be taken to jail.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:49 PM

Actually, that's not quite right. No one is going to get taken to jail for it, until the first person gets taken to jail for it. IF anyone ever gets convicted of internet gambling after the sure to be HUGE battle likely finding its way to a US Appeals, if not Supreme Court, then I'd expect it to pretty much kill internet gambling.

You don't need a law specifically banning internet gambling, you just need case law showing that the wire act actually does apply. I, however, still don't believe it does.