Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Re: My \"Try to play like Doyle Brunson In SS2 on the Party 25 Experiem

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking (and hoping) that swolfe means that this is what you should do if you really wanna play like Doyle in the 25's.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that's what i meant.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure it will bankrupt you within 100 hands though.

[/ QUOTE ]

not necessarily if you play it well post-flop.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not necessarily if you play it well post-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily if you play it well post-flop as in: "1 time in 100 this won't bust you if you're one of the best small stakes players on 2+2. Otherwise, it will." ?

Edit after re-reading your post and the hand: I mean, if you're talking about "mixing it up", I don't think that works or has any use at NL25. If you're talking about playing all hands like this... I mean: raising suited one-gappers in MP, limp-reraising SC's UTG???
Old 06-28-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow raise preflop with a suited one gap from MP! Thats ummm superagressive!

[/ QUOTE ]
aggression wins pots and gets you action when you have big hands. you have to play well post-flop. make bets and raises, don't call much, but the key thing is don't play a big pot without a big hand. if you bet the flop and someone raises, get out unless you have the goods. preflop and flop bets are cheap. make a lot of them.

[ QUOTE ]
Why is a push better than a min-reraise?

[/ QUOTE ]
a) you only have $8 left after your minraise and b) to generate extra fold equity that will increase your chances of winning the pot.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: My \"Try to play like Doyle Brunson In SS2 on the Party 25 Experiement\"

hand 1 is fine, hand 2 i'm not crazy about because you have the ass end of the straight and are really just drawing at a 6....any jack you are probably losing to a queen. That gives you 9 flush outs and 4 straight outs, if your two pair cards hit, someone probably makes a straight....that being said you are getting laid such odds I think you have to push here.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:52 AM

I continue to try to play like Doyle Brunson (yeah right LOL)!

My read on the villain is 25% VP$IP

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

UTG+1 ($46.25)
UTG+2 ($34.5)
MP1 ($84.65)
MP2 ($26.8)
MP3 ($50.55)
CO ($13.8)
Button ($21.15)
SB ($21.25)
BB ($10)
Hero ($24.25)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls $1.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls $1.50, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: ($4.85) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

No Ace or King... Amazing ... 2 flush so lets bet the pot to stop flush draws... also we want to punish Jacks and keep a damned K or A from falling on the flop or river.

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4.66</font>, UTG+2 calls $4.66, MP3 folds.

Turn: ($14.17) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

I would have made a pot sized bet if the stacks were deeper but a pot size bet is more than half my stack so in everything goes!

Is this the right line?

Hero calls $18.09 (All-In), UTG+2 calls $18.09.

River: ($50.35) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $50.35

Comments?

What do you think?
Old 06-29-2005, 01:20 AM

I like it a lot. Looks very good. Good reasoning and good bets. What's up with $4.66 though? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Re: My \"Try to play like Doyle Brunson In SS2 on the Party 25 Experiement\"

[ QUOTE ]
Hello my 2+2 Mentors!

I'm not a good no limit player...I've switched from limit to NL in the last month....

Until I re-read SS2 by Brunson I would just play like a rock and wait for people on the party 25NL to do something really stupid and give me their money.

That's all changed....

I just finished reading the Brunson NL section of Supersystem 2. This is the 4th time I've read Brunsons section in the last 3 weeks.
I want to develop a fast agressive style!
I've decided to try suited connectors!
I've decided to try to play agressive.
I've decided to try to make the opposition fear me. (yeah right LOL)

[/ QUOTE ]

Supersystem was written with much deeper stacks in mind, especially with regard suited connectors. It was also written with tighter opponents in mind. He mentions what to do against bad players.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:23 AM

the QQ hand looks fine.

as far as playing with those suited gapped connectors and such go at 25NL i dunno.

these players are really bad.

i dont think limp/raising from EP has any effect on these players, they dont think AA/KK at all. they see that they have A10 off and know that paul phillips just pushed with A10 last night on TV! A10 off must be the best hand!!!

i play 100NL and play all those doyle hands in LP now. JMO. gl.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:30 AM

Dont play like Brunson in pp $25

1. A lot of people are multitabling while watchin TV/ are not good enough to watch their opponents anyway. Developing an image is not worth it.

2. People are just really loose. Doyles strategy is good because in his games thousands of dollars are on the line. Callin an allin for $12 dollars more just does not have the same weight.

all the fish at 25 dollar tables are doing a dumbed down version of this strategy. If you want more action play tournys.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:01 AM

hello,

I have been in the same situation as you. After reading doyle's NL section in SS1, I swtiched from my weak/tight-semi agressive style to a semi-loose agressive style. I have been playing with this style for quite a while now and here are a few things I've learned ( I play the NL100 games ).

1. You will defintley get more action on your big hands. I raised a couple times in mid and late positions with suited connectors and like Face-medium number (K9, A6, Q8 etc ) and showed it everytime I wasnt called. Soon after I started getting calls on my big pairs and big hands like AK,AQ much more often.

2. You will win plenty of small pots. If I raised the pot preflop, I will always bet out pot size regardless of wut I had and surprisingly it works a good majority of the time like say 6 to 8/10 times.

3. Do not get to carried away with this style, and always remember to switch gears. I've learned this the hard way, as I got too carried away on some hands like rasing with suited connectors and falling for a slowplay trap.

4. You will get outdrawn more. This happens for several reasons: 1) your image as a loose raiser will gain more callers, building the pot, and with the pot being a healthy amount, many of the looser players will chase their draws more. 2) You will get more calls on your pre-flop raise/flop bets, and sometimes the loose players will make a wacky 2pairs on you (K5,A7etc) when you have top pair hands.

You will have to more "thoughtful" when trying to read an opponets hand. When you have a tight image, it is often eaiser to put someone on a hand.

For instance, when you're known as a tight player, say you raise 4xBB with AK ealry and get called by a semi-loose player. The flop is A-9-7 with 2 spades. You lead out and he raises you. Judging from this flop and the fact that the caller is a decent player. You would know your hand is very likely the best hand because you know he wouldnt call your raise with A9 or 9-7.

So with a loose image, you have to learn to adjust your thinking in regards to the range of hands opponets will call you with.

5. You must learn to hone your postflop play, and be able to make laydowns on your top-pair hands.

6. You must be aware of your what your current table image is, and learn to adjust to it. If u showed a couple bluffs recently or showed down a winning hand with some wacky holdings, you must learn to go into tight mode and play accordliny.

7. Always remeber the way you played when you were caught with a bluff. Next time you have something good, you must play it the same way which would be fastplaying, dont slowplay it.

This a major leak in people who like to play aggressive, they play all aggressive and crazy when they have maringal holdings but slowplay whenver they flop something good. Never do this if your image is of the loose/aggressive type, good players will catch on very fast.