Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Was this a ridiculous fold? NL50 PP

the problem with checking the turn here is that you induced a bluff from an aggressive player. if this was pot limit, it would be an easy call on the river, but here i don't think that you're ahead enough times to justify it.

since you're both deep relative to the pot, i'd make a bet on the turn (~$12) and not put another cent in...cause there's nothing that you're beating that will give you more action from that point.

EDIT: to clarify, i like how you played it if this were pot limit and we could be assured of only having to call a PSB on the river. for NL and your stacks, i'm making a bet on the turn to avoid being bluffed out. it's unlikely after betting the flop and turn that someone would want to make a bluff raise or bet the river unless they have you beat. consider the turn bet a "bluff blocker".
Old 06-27-2005, 11:00 AM

YOU MUST BET THIS TURN! Against standard PP villian, they will check to you on the river expecting another bet since youve shown strength on all streets. You can then just check the river if youre scared about a flush or stronger K. Lead this turn for $10 but fold to a push
Old 06-27-2005, 11:05 AM

I also usually bet out when i hit a visible set- more on the basis that people often try and reraise you on the flop with underpairs as they dont put you on the king- i see what you are saying about the turn. I didnt find out any extra information as to where i stood when he checked the turn.

I still smell fish to his bet- ive made the call before and seen ducks and worse- still not sure. I think MHIG. Anyways i got past that now- and up to 200$ on the 50 max buyin. lol. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2005, 11:32 AM

i don't understand all the suggestions to bet the turn? He either has a flush or he doesn't. If he does he's either raising, or calling and betting the river. If he doesn't you're getting at most one more bet out of him, i'd rather check and make that decision on the river. Are we really so scared of checking because he might make a massive bluff river overbet? How often is that going to happen? I think i play this hand exactly like the OP.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:42 AM

I bet the turn because his most likely hand is a small pair and therefore there is a decent chance that he has a spade in there and therefore he has 8 spade outs so I want to charge him.