Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 07:51 AM

Default Re: I told my dad I won $200 in a MTT today, and he yelled at me.

[ QUOTE ]
the problem is clearly that your dad is so used to you being straight edge that he can't handle it when you do something so unbecomming of a young upstanding christian

[/ QUOTE ]

As a poker-addicted evangelical Christian, I'd be really interested in understanding the background behind this response.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the problem is clearly that your dad is so used to you being straight edge that he can't handle it when you do something so unbecomming of a young upstanding christian

[/ QUOTE ]

As a poker-addicted evangelical Christian, I'd be really interested in understanding the background behind this response.

[/ QUOTE ]

there isn't any, simply a comment made in jest, basically because xNAMEx type nicks annoy me.

However, in a somewhat related item, 1/2 nl table in vegas, can't remember where, and some guy lost a pretty significant hand, and started swearing, nothing unusual, and mostly under his breath. But then the guy that was wearing the yet unnoticed Jesus shirt started goign off on how he was very offended, as a Christian, about this guy's reaction, which nearly started a brawl at the table as everyone was arguing about how either this guy shouldn't be swearing or this so called Christian was simply a hypocritical asshead, etc.

And if you really are addicted, you should seek help with your God, or something.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:08 AM

Lie to your parents. It worked for me. I'm a college student, and my dad has no idea what I do for extra cash.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there isn't any, simply a comment made in jest, basically because xNAMEx type nicks annoy me.

However, in a somewhat related item, 1/2 nl table in vegas, can't remember where, and some guy lost a pretty significant hand, and started swearing, nothing unusual, and mostly under his breath. But then the guy that was wearing the yet unnoticed Jesus shirt started goign off on how he was very offended, as a Christian, about this guy's reaction, which nearly started a brawl at the table as everyone was arguing about how either this guy shouldn't be swearing or this so called Christian was simply a hypocritical asshead, etc.

And if you really are addicted, you should seek help with your God, or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, you think since I'm straight edge that I'm a Christian?
Old 06-23-2005, 09:14 AM

Okay, here's your speech, learn and recite:

"Okay Dad you're right. I have been really lucky so far and I realise I am playing a mugs game. All I have in my account at the moment is my winnings, I promise as soon as I lose that I will close my account and never spend another penny on poker again."

Reverse psychology for the win
Old 06-23-2005, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, here's your speech, learn and recite:

"Okay Dad you're right. I have been really lucky so far and I realise I am playing a mugs game. All I have in my account at the moment is my winnings, I promise as soon as I lose that I will close my account and never spend another penny on poker again."

Reverse psychology for the win

[/ QUOTE ]

And he will reply "If you know you're going to lose it all, take it out now and start a savings account."
Old 06-23-2005, 09:49 AM

Sounds like you're out of luck. I had a similar situation, so I decided to not try to convince my dad to let me play, and just played when he was sleeping or wasn't around. Now that I graduated from high school, he's paying for my living arrangements in college and I get to play all I want and he has no clue.

Since it sounds like you still live in your dad's house you're stuck doing what he wants until you move out. Parents can seem to be irrational at times (and often are), but there's not much you can do about it.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Most people have hobbies that cost them money (astronomy, model rockets, trains...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we get a new forum exculsively for people under 12?
Old 06-23-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, you think since I'm straight edge that I'm a Christian?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes,
now tell me you aren't.

The issue with straight edge people isn't that they don't do drugs, have sex, drink, generally do the stuff that makes growing up fun. It's the fact that they don't do it, and they insist on letting everyone know they dont' do it, nobody cares.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[
And he will reply "If you know you're going to lose it all, take it out now and start a savings account."

[/ QUOTE ]

Well by doing this he would be violating his own argument. He doesn't want you to play because he thinks you will lose all your money, so if you give him a guarantee that you will not lose any money and he still won't let you play then he may as well just say something like 'you can't play because I say so'.

On the other hand, parents are prone to do this, in which case you're screwed.