Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 09:47 AM

Default Re: QQ mid position, King high flop.

Bob:

[ QUOTE ]
What are the chances that I won/lost this hand, and how do you think I should have played it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the chances are pretty good that you won the hand, considering your oppoenents river check. I think you played the hand fine, except I vote for a river bet. You raise the flop b/c you think this opponent is capable of betting a hand worse than a K (pocket pair, 7X etc.) Checking behind on the turn is reasonable since 1.) there is only 1 overcard to your hand if you are ahead. And you opponent likely has between 2-5 outs...so a free card is not a disaster here. 2.) you opponent may fold to your bet if you he has some middling or small pocket pair. And you can likely pick up a bet on a bluff or on odd call on the river 3.) You can avoid the c/r, with a hand that would like to see a showdown in a decent size pot against a relatively unknown. But when he checks the river, I would go ahead and bet, and expect to be called by many hands.

[ QUOTE ]
If I won against a middle pocket pair, what do you think of my opponents play, and what adjustments should I make?

[/ QUOTE ]

You now know that your oppoent will take shots on the flop agaisnt a preflop raiser with less than top pair. To adjust, you should not be so quick to fold to his flop bets. Also, he becomes passive when played back at, So you can use this for free cards and free showdown plays.

[ QUOTE ]
If I lost, against a weak King, same questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your opponent should have bet the river, as I doubt you are raising the flop with a hand like AQ or AJ, and there is no draw; and so a pocket pair lower than Ks seems reasonable. After your turn check, your opponent's K is almost always good and, since you checked the turn, he can expect you to call.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:59 AM

Checking the turn is fine, but when he checks through the river he will call you with a much wider range of hands on the river, since your hand seems weaker than it really is with your turn check. The river is a definite value bet.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:02 AM

Bet the turn for a free showdown. If you check it, you probably face a bet on the river and a quandry. If raised, I'm folding.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:07 AM

Bob,

I do think there's value in a river bet, but I don't mind your line here.

I don't think your opponent played it very well. I'd probably check the flop with a smaller pair or draw of any sort and see what happens. Obviously your adjustments if he did show a worse hand here would be to value bet next time.

If he gave you a showdown with a K for this little then I wouldn't make any adjustments except to note how he does play other hands as middle pairs. If he only bets better hands on the flop then obviously you can start folding.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:30 PM

I think the river decision is easy if he bets, I call, I thought the river decision was harder when he checked.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:43 PM

Interestingly enough...I was thinking if I was your opponent and somehow got to the river with either a K or a middle pair I'm betting a K and check/raising a middle pair. So I actually like his line more here if he did have a middle pair than if he has you beat since it's pretty obvious by your flop raise/turn check that you have a good hand that can't beat a K but isn't too worried about giving free cards. I'm assuming you're folding to a river check/raise normally here if you do bet...yes?
Old 06-18-2005, 12:12 AM

I'm assuming you're folding to a river check/raise normally here if you do bet...yes?

Yes, I think I have to fold.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Results.

I think I agree with almost everyone here, who said that I needed to put in another bet on some street. At the time I played the hand, I thought that it was very possible that my opponent either had a weak king, and was going to call, or a weak pair, and would probably fold, so I thought it was a gain none/lose one situation if I bet.

As it turned out, my opponent had pocket 8s, and MHWG.
Old 06-18-2005, 12:29 AM

idk but i proablly play this sorta of weak, and fold. In most cases the guy is going to have something like K J or K 10.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:19 AM

I would have folded this flop. You are stuck between the flop bettor, and three people who are still in the hand behind you. In most cases someone will not lead into a pre-flop raiser, in a multi-hand pot, without at least a king. Once your raise on the flop though works, and everyone folds, he just calls and checks the turn, you bet the turn. Fold to a CR. I would just check the river if he checkcalled turn, check river.