Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: This would solve the bot problem -- make \'em legal

This is a horrible idea for mainly two reasons.

a) it would encourage botmakers, which in the long run would lead to better bots (making money from legitimate players).

b) it would undermine the publics trust in online poker, which would lead to less fish.

The only way to combat bots it to improve detection and when they find a bot close the account and confiscate the BR. That way a bot is more likely to lose the botmaker money in the long run, and the incentive to use bots decrease.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The only way to combat bots it to improve detection and when they find a bot close the account and confiscate the BR. That way a bot is more likely to lose the botmaker money in the long run, and the incentive to use bots decrease.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes the best way to control something is to regulate it rather than outlaw it. Check your history on prohibition and bootlegging.

As for the motivation to produce more bots, the motivation today is already massive, potential untold riches. Just how would you go about increasing this motivation even if you wanted to.

You could say by making it legal and ethical that some people who might otherwise have stayed away will now try their hand. But these are the people who would be perfectly content to abide by the rules, label their players as bots and keep them on restricted tables, so where is this new threat you see my idea creating.

I'm reasonably sure that the 1,000 or 2,000 or whatever most skilled people with the mix of poker understanding and tech know-how are trying to make super winning bots right now. If another 1,000 people who aren't as skilled or as poker savvy start working on the problem will that produce a better bot. I'll agree it is possible, because you never know where inspiration will strike, but we're all gamblers here and I would say that is less than an even money proposition.

As for the credibility of online poker, I would think the most damaging thing would be for the sites to say they are keeping bots out and then have it be shown that they haven't and can't.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:14 PM

I agree with Wack this is a horrible idea. No way in hell i want bots to be legal...... HORRIBLE IDEA
Old 06-13-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As for the credibility of online poker, I would think the most damaging thing would be for the sites to say they are keeping bots out and then have it be shown that they haven't and can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many of the casual players worry about bots today? Almost none.

How many would worry if the sites started having "bot tables"? Many more.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If nothing else eventually one of them would be watching a bot table (learn by watching the computers play!!!) and see a player name they have played against numerous times and freak out that the bots are playing the non-bot tables and there would be NO WAY POSSIBLE to explain to them the player was there trying to "beat the computer" especially if the player was really up.
How many of the casual players worry about bots today? Almost none.

How many would worry if the sites started having "bot tables"? Many more.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-13-2005, 12:28 PM

No way.

Look at this way, chess can perfectly well be played for money over the internet, similar to poker. But NO, this does not happen for the simple reason that the player who has the best computer chess program will win.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:28 PM

Do you really think a programmer is going to put that much time into a bot just to have it sit at a table and compete with other tight ass bots? How much money is there to be made off a table of bots all playing ~20% of their hands, even if you build a perfect bot? What the hell would be the motivation for this? The real motivation for these programmers is the money they are going to be able to make from their bots playing against HUMANS. Sorry buddy, horrible idea.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:34 PM

Any votes for WORST thread of the day???
Old 06-13-2005, 12:40 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

The problem I see is that making a place for bots gives the bot-makers a free testbed to fine-tune their bots. It's not easy to test this sort of thing without a place to play. Under your scheme, they can test the poker engine to their hearts' content, then when they think it's ready, work on stealthing it so they can have it play at tables where the bots are not allowed.

Plus, as has been pointed out, it would raise the awareness of the existence of bots by a couple orders of magnitude, which would tend to scare people away; if they see that bots are allowed at some tables, why wouldn't they think that some bots could evade detection and play at non-bot tables?

-Mike
Old 06-13-2005, 01:38 PM

There's nothing wrong with the idea of having bots-tables at all.

The problem is that the bot makers wouldn't want to play at those tables, because they'd lose the edge of the other players knowing what they were - plus they'd be playing against - mostly - other bots.

If programmers were willing to ID themselves - and play at bot-tables - I'd have nothing against them playing online at all.

I just don't think they'd do that.