Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 07:33 PM

Default Re: NBA: Greatest ever at each position

And Shaq is not the greatest center ever. That would be either Wilt ot Kareem.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pippen does not belong anwyhere on this list, because he was nothing without MJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

"1994-95:
With a superb season in 1994-95, Pippen continued to show why he is possibly the best all-around player in the NBA. Discounting the numbers put up by Michael Jordan in 17 late-season games, Pippen led the Chicago Bulls in five categories-scoring (21.4 ppg), rebounding (8.1 rpg), assists (5.2 apg), steals (2.94 per game), and blocked shots (1.13 per game). The last player to top his club in five categories before Pippen was Dave Cowens, who paced the Boston Celtics in 1977-78. On the league leaders' charts, Pippen placed first in steals, 12th in scoring, 23rd in rebounding, 23rd in assists, and 28th in blocked shots. For his efforts, he was rewarded with an All-Star berth and selection to both the All-NBA First Team and the NBA All-Defensive First Team."

Right.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And Shaq is not the greatest center ever. That would be either Wilt ot Kareem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a strong argument can be made to the contrary. A lot of Wilt's statistical dominance is owed to the time period he played in. I think it's interesting to think about what would happen if Shaq and Wilt actually played in the same time.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:37 PM

Default \"Magic\"

I often argue with my friends that Magic Johnson is the best ever--not M. Jordan. Magic played every position at one point in his career 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 you name it he could do it. He was also way ahead of his time, bringing the ball up court at six nine. He also was in the finals almost every single year for a decade. I can't deny he had one of the most stacked teams in history, but he was able to make all those players co-exist.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
john stockton? seriously??

[/ QUOTE ]

Without question.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:38 PM

problem with these lists is that the great ones often don't really have a single position you can nail them into. part of Magic's greatness was the fact that he could bring the ball up court or play back to the basket. same With Larry Bird, the big O, Tom Tolbert and many other great ones. Where do you put Jordan? 2? 3? 1? I'm sure he could have been a hell of an undersized 4 ala barkley if he put his mind to it. Just get the four best ball players and the best center out there and you'll have a pretty unbeatable team.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Re: \"Magic\"

It's true that he played all positions, but I don't think it's reasonable to think of Magic as anything other than a point guard. It's what he played as for the majority of his career, and it's what he's known for. You can condense both positions into "guard" and argue that Magic was a better guard than Jordan was, but I would still have to disagree.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:40 PM

17 games! This is just one season and a stretch of games. Did you see the Bulls when Jordan was gone? Tony Kucoc became the go to guy, Pippen was awful.

Did you see Pippen when he played in Portland--admittedly with a bunch of clowns--he was awful.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's interesting to think about what would happen if Shaq and Wilt actually played in the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]
you'd either have an 8 track hooked up to 12 18" subs and spinners on a coupe de ville, or wilt's off court scoring title would have been a lot lower, given the std's around today.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pippen does not belong anwyhere on this list, because he was nothing without MJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

"1994-95:
With a superb season in 1994-95, Pippen continued to show why he is possibly the best all-around player in the NBA. Discounting the numbers put up by Michael Jordan in 17 late-season games, Pippen led the Chicago Bulls in five categories-scoring (21.4 ppg), rebounding (8.1 rpg), assists (5.2 apg), steals (2.94 per game), and blocked shots (1.13 per game). The last player to top his club in five categories before Pippen was Dave Cowens, who paced the Boston Celtics in 1977-78. On the league leaders' charts, Pippen placed first in steals, 12th in scoring, 23rd in rebounding, 23rd in assists, and 28th in blocked shots. For his efforts, he was rewarded with an All-Star berth and selection to both the All-NBA First Team and the NBA All-Defensive First Team."

Right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow one good season. Grow up, you stupid Yeti. Now I see where you got your name from.

Pippen is overrated. He can't hold a candle to Bird.