Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Motherf*ckers

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a wild speculation on my part, as wild as a wildcatter's bravest hole:

At some point in the future, the near future or after a significant number of years from now, when everyone now alive will be dead, I would think that the Earth would react to the extreme and rapid rape that it has withstood on account of petroleum.

We have taken out a huge, colossal amount of earthly mass and replaced it with something of nearly equivalent mass and specific gravity (roughly that's how crude is excavated) but the earth's underground has been seriously messed with.

Not only have we burned in two hundred years what took millions of years to be made (petroleum is essentially very ancient fossils) but we did it in record time too! The Earth changes very, very slowly but we went and changed its underground specs, its very balance perhaps, at the blink of an eye.

You might say we gave her the equivalent of a sharp, swift karate kick to the groin.

...But maybe our Mother Earth is stronger than everything we can throw at it. Yeah, why not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there are serious problems coming with oil supplies, but the above needs some serious re-thinking.

"colossal amount of earthly mass. . . "? 3 trillion barrels of oil has a mass of approximately 9e11 pounds. That sounds like a lot, but the Earth's crust has a mass of around 6e22 pounds, or 100 trillion times as much. While there may be some very localized effects from oil removal, on the global scheme of things we're not giving mother earth a swift kick, more like throwing a half-eaten marshmallow at a whale.

And I had to laugh at the comment about removing the oil "in record time"! Compared to what?
Old 05-31-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"colossal amount of earthly mass. . . "? 3 trillion barrels of oil has a mass of approximately 9e11 pounds. That sounds like a lot, but the Earth's crust has a mass of around 6e22 pounds, or 100 trillion times as much. ... There may be some very localized effects from oil removal

[/ QUOTE ]

This is where my speculation comes in: I am not suggesting that the Earth would somehow implode altogether. But that we might have serious, "local" but far-reaching geological effects. (A seriously big earthquake, as have come to know, in the western hemisphere can trigger an earthquake on the eastern hemisphere.)

[ QUOTE ]
I had to laugh at the comment about removing the oil "in record time"! Compared to what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Compared to the amount of time it took for oil to form. Compared to the amount of time it took for the Earth's current make itself to form and stabilize.

Two hundred years compared to tens of millions of years seems laughably short to me. (But apparently to you that's just laghable.)
Old 05-31-2005, 08:25 PM

I think the C02 buildup in the atmosphere is a far greater problem.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Exxon disagrees

[ QUOTE ]

Ohh, and by the way, what is a "fearmonger" in your view?

[/ QUOTE ]

James Howard Kunstler

natedogg
Old 05-31-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, the oil companies aren't panicking. It would be wise to *also* consider the opinions of those who are in the business of making money from energy in addition to those who are in the business of making money spreading fears about energy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oil barrel record high

Shell record profits

I'm sorry, but you were saying? Please explain it to me again. I just don't understand. If the price of oil reaches record highs and shell gets record profits why would they fear a shortage? Also, how am I making money off of spreading fears? I'm in the biotech business. And Zeno, does he profit from spreading fears too?

Congrats on actually supplying a relative link. Keep up the good work!!
Old 05-31-2005, 10:05 PM

Massive asteroid on collision course with earth.

Natedog advises that the Govt not meddle with the market and let private enterprise find a solution.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Natedog advises that the Govt not meddle with the market and let private enterprise find a solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD
Old 05-31-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow what a great analogy....not
Old 05-31-2005, 10:32 PM

Why not?

It probably isnt a good analogy because it in no way resembles one.

Before using a big fancy word like that, google.com is what I would recommend for you.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not?

It probably isnt a good analogy because it in no way resembles one.

Before using a big fancy word like that, google.com is what I would recommend for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I was writing colloquially as I tend to do. You know what I meant, but way to be a nit.

Let me rephrase for you: What a terrible comparison. Better?