Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Re: THE WORLDS BIGGEST TOOL @ THE TABLES

What time is the tourney and what bar by the way? Sounds like fun.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:49 AM

I have yet to play in one of these things even though they are all over town now and a couple of them are walking distance from where I live.

They're advertised in the MemphisFlyer quite a bit.

I heard a radio advertisement for happy-hour or something at Babe's show-club and they mentioned a free texas hold-em tourney on thursday nights. i thought it was truly bizarre for a strip-club to be advertising 'texashold-em' and was going to post about that here but it slipped my mind. this was several weeks ago and i haven't heard the ad since.

anyway...i found the link for all this memphis-bar poker-tourney stuff.

thepokerlounge.net

other not included on the website that may still run them:
zinnie's in mid-town - had a banner or something that said "Tuesday night poker at Zinnie's" (might have been WEdnesday).

I also thought that Neil's and/or Murphy's (both on Madison) had poker nights somewhere in there. I either saw a sign while driving past or saw an ad in the flyer.

But again...this was a few weeks ago and they might have stopped running them since then.
Since i have never played in any of these I'm really not familiar with the whole memphis bar-poker scene at all.
But based on the ads and web-site, etc etc it does seem to be quite thriving.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:58 AM

just checking through some of the results.
it appears that 30-70 players is not uncommon for some of these events which is really more than I would expect.

One at Buffalo wild wings on hack's cross got only 18 players last week.
Fox and Hound in Cordova got 48 players for their most recent event.
Sharpshooters (don't know where that is) got 68 players.
Newby's got 45 players.
Robillo's side-car cafe (???...don't know this place) got 66.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:04 AM

is this the same guy?? kinda looks like it.

Old 05-14-2005, 05:27 AM

Oh man, that picture is priceless. I love it. Thanks for the picture! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2005, 07:45 AM

For those who think TV coverage of the game is not putting perception way out of whack, witness the Rico. Thanks for the photo. A dangerous-looking guy, especially if he starts hanging around the men's room. What does be bring to real poker games? A cowboy hat and a gun? I'm thinking he was doing this for a joke, otherwise I have to believe Rico is in that part of the gene pool that nature will have to deal with in a big car wreck.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:56 AM

Man, I wish I knew you guys were taking pictures of these wanna-be's. I wanted to hit the gift shop the other night to get a picture of this young kid sitting in a 1-2nl game at the MGM. Black sunglasses, grey hooded sweatshirt with the hood up... Hmmmmmm....anyone who watches poker on tv knows who this kid was trying to imitate... Funny thing was he seemed to have no clue how to make proper bets in relation to the pots. (i.e. $30 bets into $6 pots, etc...) Whoever posted those pictures from the free bar tourney, that is priceless! Keep up the good work!
Old 05-14-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have yet to play in one of these things even though they are all over town now and a couple of them are walking distance from where I live.

They're advertised in the MemphisFlyer quite a bit.

I heard a radio advertisement for happy-hour or something at Babe's show-club and they mentioned a free texas hold-em tourney on thursday nights. i thought it was truly bizarre for a strip-club to be advertising 'texashold-em' and was going to post about that here but it slipped my mind. this was several weeks ago and i haven't heard the ad since.

anyway...i found the link for all this memphis-bar poker-tourney stuff.

thepokerlounge.net

other not included on the website that may still run them:
zinnie's in mid-town - had a banner or something that said "Tuesday night poker at Zinnie's" (might have been WEdnesday).

I also thought that Neil's and/or Murphy's (both on Madison) had poker nights somewhere in there. I either saw a sign while driving past or saw an ad in the flyer.

But again...this was a few weeks ago and they might have stopped running them since then.
Since i have never played in any of these I'm really not familiar with the whole memphis bar-poker scene at all.
But based on the ads and web-site, etc etc it does seem to be quite thriving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey!

The bar poker scene IS thriving quite well. There are 4 main gigs running in town:

http://www.thepokerlounge.net (you mentioned)
they run about 7-8 games weekly... good fun games. Terrible players....decent structure...great turnouts.

http://www.nationalpubpokerleague.com
Another big player in town... about 10-12 games weekly. They sponsor the Babes Strip Club game... My buddy actually runs that game and it's a good time. The club itself is shady and the girls are fugly, but the game is pretty fun and there are a couple cheapie cash tourneys after (typically $20 with a full table..pays 120/60 or so). IF you're wanting to get in on the cas game (it's kinda hushhush)... ask for Gray (runs it) and tell him Matt said to let ya play.

TJ Mulligans (where the pic was taken)
My favorite of the games. 7-8 tables. Good structure. Good drinks specials. Winners go to a private $2000 freeroll at Hollywood. Games at all locations, though I play at Quince/Kirby.

Clicks Billiards (Near Malco Majestic)
Best players in town.. only game with single table tourneys and house dealers. Winners qualify for another tourney where they can win a seat at a $10k guaranteed tourney in Tunica... forget which cardroom. Games Sun thru Wed at 7/9/11pm

Overall the games are a good time. Great place to splash around and get that out of your system. Also fun place to try out other stuff... I've played every single hand for 2 hours at Mulligans once... almost won the thing that time (4th). Any solid player will have no trouble winning MORE than their fair share of these.

I'll keep an eye out for more "rico's"

Todd, check your PMs... I'll probably see ya down at the shoe tonight.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:22 PM

I'm almost glad I don't play B&M. If he tried to stare me down, I think I might get embarrassed when I laugh so hard my drink comes out of my nose.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:35 PM

So if I see some genius at the table can I just say
(WHAT A RICO).