Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 11:10 AM

Default Re: AK ... chickened out?

Ok you play AKo hoping to hit TPTK and hope it stands up... then you get THE PERFECT flop for AKo no str8 or flush draws and you just call a flop bet..... raise raise raise till you can't raise anymore. When the 3rd A hits the river the one hand you are worried about (AA) is no longer possible so raise it up!
Old 05-05-2005, 11:10 AM

If I check/raised the turn, I'd expect KK or QQ to just fold, where as they might call a river bet when you bet at them out of the blue.

What about leading the turn, looking to go to war? I'm posing this as an open question. I'm not sure this is best, but it's a possibility.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:11 AM

I think you are almost always way ahead and check/raise the turn and bet the river. If he 3-bets the turn I'm calling down unless I have a good read.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:13 AM

Jamming the flop is just going to force worse hands (all the most likely hands) to fold on the cheap streets. They'd be crazy to go bananas. HU, this is a great time to wait to the turn to extract more value.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I check/raised the turn, I'd expect KK or QQ to just fold, where as they might call a river bet when you bet at them out of the blue.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's okay that he folds KK, QQ. He loses out on his 2 outer. But more importantly you get more from the other hands you beat that will call down.

Krishan
Old 05-05-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think enough players would call down here with those hands or AQ if the capper is loose to make it profitable. And you win an extra bet when they do.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:17 AM

What other hands can villain have here that we beat? You think he caps with AQ? Ax? JJ is no longer on the list of things that we beat, and TT will fold right along with KK and QQ. AK is the most likely holding that will cap preflop and will call down a turn check/raise, and we don't beat that.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't get this at all. You need to be throwing chips in this pot like they were on fire.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to discourage KK or QQ here...

[/ QUOTE ]

Your treating this as though it's a way ahead way behind situation. It's not. It's a way ahead, way ahead situation.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you're more likely to be ahead here. C/r'ing the turn though scares off KK/QQ IMO.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's okay that he folds KK, QQ. He loses out on his 2 outer. But more importantly you get more from the other hands you beat that will call down.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

IT IS NOT OKAY to fold him, plus "But more importantly you get more from the other hands you beat that will call down." this statement makes no sense because it is HU.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:21 AM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I probably played this hand completely wrong... Should I have 3-bet preflop? I check-called up till the turn because I was afraid UTG had AA since he capped preflop... Should I have played this differently? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

[/ QUOTE ]
There are so many ways to play this hand, and it would help if we knew what type of player we were dealing with.

Due to his preflop cap, I'm just going to assume he's a lag (provide reads please, or state "unknown opponent").

I would bet-call the flop, and bet-3 bet the turn. If it gets capped I'd check-call a non-A or K river. On this river, I think I'll bet-call if the turn is capped.

The last thing I am going to do on the flop/turn is give an opponent credit for holding the last two aces in the deck.