Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Tough laydown

Three bet preflop. This is a simple pot equity equation, I believe. If you run AQs against a random hand (BB), an MP3 limper (range of weaker hands more than likely) and a button with a PFR of 9.6 (higher on button), you will come out ahead (assuming you are a better postflop player of course).
Old 04-28-2005, 11:43 AM

I now agree w/ 3 betting preflop. But I still believe it's a fold on the turn.

1) BB is no chump (look at his stats).
2) (After raising the flop) he now INSTANT bet on the turn after I checked
3) I have no diamond
4) button cold called the flop and now calls the turn... AK and AJ are strong possibilities (could be smooth calling the turn fearing diamonds, or could have diamonds himself)
Old 04-28-2005, 11:44 AM

I think 3 betting preflop is a winning play. I think checking and folding the turn is bizarre and horrible. I really don't get it.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:04 PM

In this instance I do, although there isnt a huge difference between calling and raising. The part of the hand that is much more important for discuassion is the postflop play.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:06 PM

I've posted here for a long time but not a lot over past few years. I'm enjoying posting here again and glad to be back. Poker isn't a game it's a disease [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) BB is no chump (look at his stats).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very strong argument in support of 3-betting preflop here. Get rid of the good player with position on you and the hand becomes much easier to play.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:08 PM

I don't think any amount of stats make this one right. It's just... odd.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:59 PM

Why u fold the turn?

bb raised you on the flop. It's unlikely he did it with a flush draw as he would not want to choke off the players behind him.

Once you check the turn, he could easily bet any ace here. Also, his aggresion and fold river stats are high which further give some indication that he doesn't have you beat. Well, it certainly indicates that he doesn't *HAVE* to have you beat in order to bet.

Button is a loose goose. Who knows what he has got with all his calling but it seems obvious that he doesn't have you beat either.

I would call. Better yet, you should have bet. Better yet, since the bb bet (and we think it highly unlikely that he made the flush) and the button just called (meaning positively that he ain't got no flush), checkraising might be the best play of them all (as they can't be very confident that you don't have a flush).
Old 04-28-2005, 09:49 PM

Default Results & comments

I appreciate all the responses. I think I need to re-evaluate my weak-tightness, and pick spots to start calling hands down a bit more. In the end, I think this laydown just felt right at the time. To be honest, I think it was the INSTANT bet by BB on the turn which was the strongest factor. The only way you can instant bet (I think) is if you click the "bet/raise" button in advance, meaning he was ready to raise if I had bet into him.

Having said that, 3-betting preflop probably wins me the pot.

BB has 7d Td (flush, ace high).
Button has 8c Ac (one pair, aces).
Outcome: BB wins 12.50 BB.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Results & comments

[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate all the responses. I think I need to re-evaluate my weak-tightness, and pick spots to start calling hands down a bit more. In the end, I think this laydown just felt right at the time. To be honest, I think it was the INSTANT bet by BB on the turn which was the strongest factor. The only way you can instant bet (I think) is if you click the "bet/raise" button in advance, meaning he was ready to raise if I had bet into him.

Having said that, 3-betting preflop probably wins me the pot.

BB has 7d Td (flush, ace high).
Button has 8c Ac (one pair, aces).
Outcome: BB wins 12.50 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you 100% know he had the raise any button clicked, then I guess the fold is more reasonable. But the real problem is your turn check, not your turn fold. If you bet and folded to a raise you would have got a lot more positive replys to your play.