Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Maintaining BR

If you're just calling and missing with good starting standards that's just poker. If you're calling with junk, then yes, that's going to bleed your BR. Make sure you have those standards down. Also, I notice you said calling hands preflop then folding to a raise. If you mean calling then folding to a preflop raise, then there is something wrong. If a hand is strong enough to play for one bet at the position you're in then you should call if it's raised after you for one bet. A raise and a reraise you should tighten up. This should also be in your book. I could be misunderstanding you on this one though.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:03 PM

AQs i may raise preflop, But a reraise id fold most likyly fold.

Qt i would call, To a raise id fold.

Leak in my game ? The ITH charts agree with me (Late position)

late being cut off/dealer
Old 04-26-2005, 03:09 PM

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying if you called and then a guy raises you, then you should call for one more bet. Right out of SSH p.86 and I doubt ITH says different. Just trying to help.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:10 PM

So i get to see the flop?

So you would call a QJ(Unsuited) after a raise PREflop?

Thanks,
Chris.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. He's saying, that if you call preflop and there's a raise back to you, you should call it. You should never cold-call two bets preflop with QJo or most other hands for that matter.

Also, playing QTo/QTs is probably a leak. If you are in late position with many players in already for a single bet, go ahead and play it. If the flop doesn't hit you hard, release the hand. This hand is easily dominated.

Folding to a reraise with AQs is wrong. If Hilger says that in ITH I'd be surprised.

Regards,

T
Old 04-26-2005, 03:20 PM

Sheridan Cat explained it. Here's the quote.

SSH p.86

"So far, the guidelines for playing in raised pots apply only when the raise occurs before you act. If someone raises afterwards, call with any hand if it is one bet back to you."
Old 04-26-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Folding to a reraise with AQs is wrong. If Hilger says that in ITH I'd be surprised.

Regards,

T

[/ QUOTE ]

Apoligise, I mean AJ - Typo sorry.

Ok thanks guys, Ill use this for now then.

Just got my BR back on track, $20 now.

Thanks,
Chris.
Going to reread ITH, And again, Then i may buy other books.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any idea the minimum cash in at pokerstars?

[/ QUOTE ] the smallest limit they have is .01/.02.

You can set it up to save hand history's on your computer, do that, then import the hand histories to Poker Tracker, this should help you evaluate your game.

good luck [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-26-2005, 10:12 PM

Chris,

As others have explained, folding to one more bet after a [re]raise comes back to you is a terrible leak. You may have an intuitive sense of why this is: at this point you're only calling one bet, but there's twice as much (or 3/2 as much against a reraise) money in the pot so your pot odds are much better.

With an easily-dominated hand such as KJo or ATo, you'll wish you hadn't entered the pot in the first place. (This is why you can only play those hands up front in passive or really loose games.) But now that you have entered the pot, it's even worse to fold for one more bet.

If there are two raises behind you, you're right to fold with many of these hands.

On a different topic, I remember from past posts that you were very reluctant to see winning at limit poker as a long-term thing, and the thread above makes me think that you're still struggling with that. Even a week's worth of results may not be reflecting how you're playing. That said, if you have a major leak like folding to a raise instead of putting in one more bet, that is costing you money and will show up in long-term results.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:18 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for replys so far, Glad i posted this topic aswell as rereading some of ITH.

Its clear i have major leaks, Im currently at $23 andwill see how today goes. Ill put this calling reraises on good hands into practice and see how i go.

No doubt ill be posting alot more here, and definatly will be after joining pokerstars(hand Historys).

Thanks,
Chris.