Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: No more live poker for two weeks.

[ QUOTE ]
I have tightened up since then but may still be to loose. This last session, I went so long with out playing a hand that the other players were commenting on how long it had been since I played a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a GOOD problem to have! But pre-flop is the easy part.. post flop is where its gets hard.

In my last thread I neglected to mention that I was a winning player financially when I had my "awakening". Just because you are a winning player online doesn't automatically mean you have the "Skills to pay the Billz", I am proof of that, I was clueless compared to where I am now yet I made a profit anyway.

I really stand by my suggestion of spending time posting in the micro limits and /or small stakes forums... what many of us call variance is more often than not sub-optimal play at the levels you (and I) are playing at. I think its the best sollution, countless Small Stakes posters can't be wrong!

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 04-23-2005, 08:24 PM

This is more of a question to other posters. I noticed steamboatin ends a session at 20BBs. Is that wise in general to do? (I know the answer is going to be it depends). When I know I am in a good game, I usually don't give up until losing 50 BB. (I used to do only 30BB
because of an article Annie Duke wrote on ultimatebet.com, but I think that is too low). Of course this depends on if you are on tilt or not, etc. It is diffferent for me too because I have to travel two hours to a cardroom.

Also, is playing under 10/20 in the long run possible being a winning player, that is, is the rake too high?
Old 04-23-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really stand by my suggestion of spending time posting in the micro limits and /or small stakes forums... what many of us call variance is more often than not sub-optimal play at the levels you (and I) are playing at. I think its the best sollution, countless Small Stakes posters can't be wrong!

[/ QUOTE ]

So true. Remember what I said last time I saw you at Caesars...break away from B&M forum B.S. discussions about funny poker shirts and log some meat and potatoes posts in the Small Stakes forum. You need to be asking "what do you think about this flop call?" or "Call 2 cold on the button with 77 when UTG raised and 3 more people called?"

We all love to have fun, joke, and gossip, but it's important to remember that actual STRATEGY discussions happen on the forums as well.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:32 PM

This downswing really isn't too terrible. It's certainly smaller than the bigger ones I've had online. I have no idea how Steambotin plays, but these results alone are not enough to conclude that he is a loser in these games. All of the sessions he posted combined consist of <1k hands. 1k hand stretches are miniscule.

I played 400 hands this morning and I lost 40 bets. I'm not worried.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:42 PM

What type of game is it? Are you able to move players out of pots? I know I am on a horrible run in games where it is difficult, if not impossible to push people out of pots. Therefore, I must make strong hands in order to win. I have gone 2-3 hours without winning a pot in recent times. I have only been hitting about 15% of my flopped flush and str8 draws over the past 100 hours or so of play. I have been getting a face pair preflop about once every two hours during that time.

If you are running dry of cards, take a break and recognize that this is why you are running bad. If you play in tighter games, the first thing I would look at is table selection.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played 400 hands this morning and I lost 40 bets. I'm not worried.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan is right, I am not disputing that at all. But there is no easy or our friend Steamboating to know if he is playing well or if it is short term varience without getting advice from his peers.

Old 04-23-2005, 08:44 PM

Tight games a not a problem at Caesars IN.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are running dry of cards, take a break and recognize that this is why you are running bad. If you play in tighter games, the first thing I would look at is table selection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh Snap! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-23-2005, 08:57 PM

when I first began playing, I would sit with 20 BB and leave when I lost half of my stack. I did that to learn discipline and to limit my losses while I was learning. ( turns out I am still learning). I live close to the cardroom so it is easy to run down to the boat and play a couple of hours.

Now I leave when I get tired or lose my 20 BB. That is another thing that I have been considering, my standard deviation is high so I might be sitting down with to small of a stack. If I sit at 3-6 with $100-120 and my standard deviation at $3-6 is currently $69.76 per hour based upon 19.75 hours of play. It very possible for me to go bust in two or three hours.

I have been considering sitting with more BB.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:59 PM

There is usually a waiting list at Caesars so you pretty much have to play where they put you.