Old 04-23-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: Big pot... 88 overpair

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

In non-grunch style, I've already read the argument going on. Here's my 2 cents:

On OP's FIRST preflop call, there are already 5 players in the pot, and he's facing 2.5 SB (about 3-1 on his call). One raiser is possibly spewing, and one is possibly a maniac, but he's gotta figure that at least one of the players still to act is going to stay in with overcards to his PP.

Middle PPs don't play well in big fields (right?), and Hero is OOP, and basically looking at 3-1 immediate pot odds to complete a 20% (4-1) play (making his set), so even with position he doesn't have the odds to play this pair. There are implied odds, of course, but those are killed off by the knowledge that either spew-boy or maniac will be capping.

All that said, I think capping PF to try to isolate the spewer and the maniac (depending on your reads of BB and the limpers) might work for you, but I agree that just limping along PF is the wrong play.

I like the idea of trapping short-stack spewers and maniacs when the opportunity presents itself, but I don't think this is the hand to do it with.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Big pot... 88 overpair

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold preflop.

On the flop in this big pot I bet out instantly with an overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry dude but both of these answers are wrong. With implied odds you can make this pre-flop call IMO.

Betting the flop is wrong also IMO. You want the pot-protecting move (check/raise) not the pot-building move (bet).