Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Big Pot. Bad Fold???

You gave away the ending, so it's going to be hard to get objective answers. The 2+2 mantra, anyway, is don't fold on the river in big pots with overpairs. Here you were getting 19:1.

But, absent any specific information on the BB's tendencies, it is indeed pretty hard to figure out what he can have that you can beat. The only thing that jumps out at me is the inconsistency between his, pre-flop, flop and turn play. Let's put him on pocket aces. Would he just call your flop raise and then lead out on the turn? I suppose it's possible, but I've rarely seen anyone play pocket aces this way. If they just call a flop raise they'll usually check-raise the turn if they think they're good or check-call. Betting out on the turn after not 3-betting the flop seems strange. Same with pocket queens or the set of jacks.

Seems to me I make these calls on the river a lot and it's a leak. I think I call here too, but I'm not sure if the inconsistency I mentioned is a legit reason or I just call because I'm getting 19:1 and who knows.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He raised preflop. Lead the flop and leads the turn into a large field with a 3 flush on the board and into the flop raiser and into the preflop capper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes he did, which makes no sense if he really has a monster hand. Why lead when he can possibly trap the other 76 players between you by check-raising, instead? No matter what he did on the turn, I think you have to call the river when it's only one bet to you, especially when the only other player still in the pot drops out and you're closing the action.

SpaceAce
Old 04-23-2005, 06:28 PM

I think it's easy to see leaks here when there isn't truely one. The one time you catch a guy out, you go "wow, that guy was an idiot" and you're focusing on his play. The other 18 times you say "why the hell did I call this", and you're focusing on your own play. Also, calling down has the added benefit of shielding you from aggression.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:40 PM

This is too weird of a line in too big of a pot to be that confident he has you beat. AhJx alone seems likely enough to force a call, for instance.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:29 PM

Does anybody else think that this is so basic that if you can't raise the turn, you need to step down a level?

-Durka
Old 04-24-2005, 04:20 AM

I don't raise this turn against most opponents. (Flame away.)
I call the river like every time.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:06 PM

Firstly, there are only 3 of you, so it is not a large field, and you both know that UTG isnt that strong. You cant have that good a read online, and his play seems very strange. He likely would have 3 bet the flop with AA or a set of Jacks, and I would think that a bet on the turn is overplaying QQ. Pot is big=you paying him off.