Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 08:52 PM

Default Re: 1-2NL Tropicana, I told Him To CHOP!!

If you play heads up in low limit poker, the only one that wins is the house.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:56 PM

Deff makes sense; Two questions:
1) should you get angry when the guy refuses? in other words, how big of a douche are you if you refuse?

2) is it a sleazy move if, after being refused, you put on some kind of drama show, and induce a big bet when you have the best hand. why does the benevolence (offerng to chop) end upon the dealing of the flop?

To clarify #2, I am not questioning if it is sleazy to induce a bet from someone "in general". My question relates specifically to a proposed chop situation which is rebuked.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:00 PM

If you play heads up in low limit poker, the only one that wins is the house.

I love this guy !!!
Old 04-07-2005, 11:11 PM

This topic reminds me of a hand I think I played in Kansas City at Ameristar. Folded to me in the SB with JJ, I look at the BB and offer a chop. He says no. I say, fine I raise. He reraises, I cap it. Flop comes KJ8. I check, he bets, I raise, and he calls me down with TT. Entire table laughs at him and says that'll teach you. Big blinds lowers his head in shame. Good times.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, pushing after the K over card is not the brightest, but I guess you induced that with your offer. kind of under handed in my opinion

[/ QUOTE ]

How is offering to chop underhanded? It's very common in live poker. You want to sit around and watch two guys play a hand? Meanwhile the house takes money off the table for themselves.

Regards,

T
Old 04-07-2005, 11:59 PM

I've found it customary to offer to chop the blinds prior to looking at one's cards.
If I look at my cards in the SB and find a better than average hand, open the pot, and now the BB looks at his hand and says "Chop?"... Well?
If he had mucked his hand initially instead of calling, would you have given his SB back saying "I always chop"?
First time I encountered "Chop?", the guy to my right asked me the first time I was BB -- before the cards were dealt -- and I said "Ok". Folded to him and he looked at me and repeated "Chop?" for confirmation, and I looked down at my AA and said, "Yes".

It should be made clear before the cards are dealt.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:22 AM

I've chopped with AA, I tabled them, too (i dont know if that was a good idea, but everyone laughed)
Old 04-08-2005, 05:54 AM

The whole hand was retarded, every part of it.

And that's what I expect at live 1/2 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2005, 08:30 AM

I was playing NL online once, had AJ heads up. I forget how the hand played out but by the turn the pot was still relatively small, there was an AAxx on the board (xx being a small pair) and it was clear that we both had an A in our hands. Thinking too quickly, I said "Check this down, we both have Aces, the pot will be split, don't boost the rake with a useless bet" then the river came out a J. Oops, I forgot that 1 more card could have made someone a bigger full house. But I had already offered to check down so I'm not going to bet into him. I check to him and he makes a decent sized bet. So I'm like "WTF man I said check it down." and push all in. He quickly calls and turns over an A with a kicker not a J, and I take the full pot. Justice served for those who hopelessly bluff at a split pot, with no chance of accomplishing anything other than pumping up the rake.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:26 AM

You know what I find funny is that at some of the Foxwoods 5-10 and 10-20 games, the button will ask the blinds if they chop. If they say yes, he will fold, I guess if not he wanted to limp with his marginal hand. Even better if he was planning to raise, but would just as soon let the blinds chop.

I have seen at least a couple of different players pull this move, and I have to say it seems pretty idiotic. But hey, if you want to let the blinds chop instead of trying to steal, be my guest.