Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Phil Hellmuth texas hold em book

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously Phil is no longer a top player. He would probably even admit that. Maybe if he tried hard again, he would again perform well in tournaments. He doesn't put in the time and effort, so I suppose we can't know for sure.

<snip>

To call Hellmuth the #1 money winner is a totally bizarre statement, and thats all I meant by my post.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is easily verifable if it refers to Phil as being the #1 *Tournament* money winner.

Phil was and still is a great tournament player. Only he and Doyle Brunson have 9 WSOP bracelets, everyone else has fewer. Also, Phil just won NBC's Heads-Up tournament against some tough competition last month.

Cash games may not be his forte', but I like his chances in any tournament he plays. Also, tournaments require a different strategy and mind set than cash games. Maybe he has trouble making the shift between the two. Just like many of us have trouble.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you've played with Phil? or is this second hand knowledge about what other players have said, and from players you have never met?

[/ QUOTE ]

2nd hand from some players I know and respect, and some I don't know but still respect. It's no secret. If he was any good, he'd be playing cash games more often.

Seriously, you'll survive the fact he isn't a good cash player. Don't feel threatened.

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding what you said about him laying down the best hands, well if you never lay down the best hand your are calling way too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you constantly lay down the best hand, you're folding too much.

[ QUOTE ]
I think he can read people better than anyone and he knows how to pick his spots, some situations is just not worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like folding QQ against an underpair preflop?

[ QUOTE ]
You just find it easy to bash Phil so you do it, or maybe your bitter because you think your better than Phil but yet hes the one whos the High Roller not you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, it is easy to bash Phil.

I'm not bitter. Being a good poker player means nothing to me.

Hellmuth is not a highroller. If he had to survive on his poker winnings alone, he'd be broke.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is easily verifable if it refers to Phil as being the #1 *Tournament* money winner.

Phil was and still is a great tournament player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder what his net tournament profit is over the years. I would guess not very high, especially when averaged out over the years.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hellmuth is not a highroller. If he had to survive on his poker winnings alone, he'd be broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - I think he's managed to survive on his poker winnings since the 80's. He hasn't started to get book deals and other product endorsement deals until the last couple of years. What do you think he was doing for money the decade before that?

Also, if Phil sucks so bad why does he get so many endorsement offers? You don't see companies offering endorsement offers to people who suck do you? How many second string NFL players get endorsement offers? Sure, Phil is a very recognizable character, but so are many other poker players but you don't see them with deals. His skill got him his recognition.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I wonder what his net tournament profit is over the years. I would guess not very high, especially when averaged out over the years.

[/ QUOTE ]

What has that got to do with him making the claim of being the #1 Tournament money winner?
Old 04-05-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - I think he's managed to survive on his poker winnings since the 80's.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was broke a few years ago. But that isn't unique in tournament poker.

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think he was doing for money the decade before that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Relying on his wifes earnings and backers.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, if Phil sucks so bad why does he get so many endorsement offers?

[/ QUOTE ]

He made a name for himself when he won his tournies. But you'd have to ask Doyle for the main reason he started getting all those endorsements. He certainly needed them.

[ QUOTE ]
You don't see companies offering endorsement offers to people who suck do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The correlation between fame and ability is not necessarily that high when it comes to tournament poker.

[ QUOTE ]
How many second string NFL players get endorsement offers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally different.

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, Phil is a very recognizable character, but so are many other poker players but you don't see them with deals. His skill got him his recognition.

[/ QUOTE ]

His results got him recognition. Doyle got him endorsements initially. Though now poker is booming, he'd probably get the endorsements anyway.

All in my opinion of course.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What has that got to do with him making the claim of being the #1 Tournament money winner?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh? Are you saying net profit has nothing to do with the claim of being the number 1 tournament money winner? It doesn't matter if you've won 2 million in tournaments, but paid out 3 million in entries?
Old 04-05-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh? Are you saying net profit has nothing to do with the claim of being the number 1 tournament money winner? It doesn't matter if you've won 2 million in tournaments, but paid out 3 million in entries?

[/ QUOTE ]

To make the claim, yes that is correct - it doesn't matter.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:37 PM

Damn he is one big conspiricy theorist, who thinks he knows everything. Oh well maybe one day you will be as good as Phil, atually I shouldn't be giving you false hopes like that sorry.

Also are you saying you woudln't take the endorsement and books deals? I think it shows how smart he really is and how to collect even more money. Phil is one of the best players in the world, stop trying to deny that!!!
Old 04-05-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To make the claim, yes that is correct - it doesn't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I suppose I agree. My comment was to point out what a meaningless and misleading claim it can be.