Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2005, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Getting Cute at the Binions No Max NL Game

[ QUOTE ]
1/2 Blinds, No Max Buy In, Binion's, Las Vegas

I'd been playing my regular tight aggro game and decided to mix it up a little on this hand. I had been showing down winning hands and the table respected my play. On to the hand.

Main villian in hand is a girl with pokerstars gear on. She had been playing fairly tight, and hadn't made any real moves or bluffs since she's been at the table.

With a couple of limpers I raise it to $15 (the standard table raise) in the CO with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The two limpers call, and everyone else drops out.

The flop comes down:

4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The limpers check it to me and and I make a continuation bet of $30. Pokerstars chick calls with $700 behind, other limper drops out. I have $500 left in my stack.

The turn is:

3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

PS chick leads out for $100.

Your action on turn and river play for:

a) complete blank
b) spade
c) board pairing card

[/ QUOTE ]

I try to put her on a hand:
Arag s : unlikely, most fold to a big PF raise. Besides, why bet so big on the turn?

As5 : same

22, 44, 55, 66, 64s, 62s, 42s: more likely to limp and then call a raise.

2 small/medium spades: Likely to limp call, but why this huge turn bet?

I other words I put her on a hand which needs the board to pair board to beat me. I think the turn bet screams of "I hit big on the flop but, hey, the board is gettin scary!"

I also expect her to fold to a raise bigger than a min raise here. Probably also to a min raise.

I would call the turn bet, and if I think she would call a min raise then I would min raise. If she push to the min raise then I fold.

Now if the turn comes a spade fold to a bet but bet pot size to a check.

If the turn is a brick then i hope for a bet from her then minraise that bet.

If the turn paires the board I check or fold.

FWIW
Old 03-27-2005, 09:08 AM

Why do you put her on a set but say fold if another spade comes?
Old 03-27-2005, 09:16 AM

I fold to any decent sized bet if a spade hit on the river cos I dont think she would bet the river without a spade...
Old 03-27-2005, 01:40 PM

"2 small/medium spades: Likely to limp call, but why this huge turn bet?"

Pott is about 80$ and she bets 100$
This is not a huge overbet.
I dont think she would bet that much with a set or 2 pairs though. Easy fold for me. Think you are beaten 90% of the time here.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:44 AM

it looks to me that she flopped a small flush and decided to play it cautiously until she cuold get her money in as a big favorite on the turn. if you do continue i think you need to consider a big bluff on riv er if spade comes on river and she blinks
matty
Old 03-28-2005, 02:17 AM

If she's the type of tight player that you don't think understands the game and just plays a bit scared then does some silly crap, I just call the flop and check behind on any non-spade board or call any decent bet (fold if a spade comes)
If she's just superTAG I'd fold the turn.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to just flatcall here and play poker on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do people mean by "play poker" in posts...aren't we always playing poker? Do you just mean "wing it" or is there something that this term means?
Old 03-28-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Arag s : unlikely, most fold to a big PF raise. Besides, why bet so big on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you must only play online...for some reason I will never be able to figure out, I have never played a live 1/2 no limit game live where standard preflop raise is anything less than 12 (even in max 100 dollar buy-in tables like the one they have at Foxwoods)...just saying don't be too quick to rule out hands because the raise is big preflop...it's not.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:12 AM

yeah i see the same thing, I'm pretty sure its that the 100 max foxwoods morons find it tough to put out different dominations of chips.

The 3-chip raise to 15 is so much easier for them then raising to 8.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:27 AM

I think tizzle's got a point in that you may very well be drawing dead, so given your description I dont think there's anything wrong with taking the safe route and just letting this hand go. On the other hand, even if she's not tricky or move happy, she may play any other hand that beats an overpair in this exact same fashion. Sooooo, if you wanna see where you're at and hopefully get to inexpensive showdown, I like the small raise idea, either $150 or minraise. This will get more money from her when you're ahead and will sometimes even get you a free showdown when you're behind, as you really dont wanna sweat a big river bet. You tried the best you can, the best you can is good enuffffffff. Hope she had 55.