Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Faking the call... shooting an angle?

Not only is this clearly an angle shot, it's highly immoral in my opinion. This isn't what the spirit of poker is supposed to be about. Gee, why don't they just let you start doing these kinds of angle shots online too, then online poker would be complete.

Note that at a table with a betting line, once you cross the line with chips, you already have called, whether you release them or not. In other cardrooms without the line, the line still exists in spirit - it's the line in front of your cards. Cross it and I force you to call. Diddle-dork around behind your cards trying to shoot an angle and I consider calling the floor (if I'm dealing to you) or pulling you from the table "for a little chat" if I'm the floor.

Play friggin' fair already. Every A-hole in the world these days is bending every rule and finding every shade of grey possible with every little minute angle shot. It gets OLD. There should be a spirit of competition that forces people to play fairly and by the rules in all "sports," including poker. Unfortunately, the average joe these days has never heard of it. Instead, they get their ideas of how poker is supposed to be from TILT and from phil hellmouth.

al
Old 03-26-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Play friggin' fair already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen
Old 03-27-2005, 05:01 PM

Nicely put Al.
A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: hi

[ QUOTE ]
i saw gus hansen do this against negreanu on the wpt, then he folded

[/ QUOTE ]

First thing that came to my mind what exactly that.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if your opponent makes a big raise on the river, and you grab your chips as you contemplate the call... then motion as if you're throwing in the call, but you keep the chips in your hand - is this an angle?

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with Al_Capone_Jr -- this is the epitome of an angle.

The key here is the "motion as if you're throwing in the call". If you simply grab your chips or stack them or whatever as if you are thinking of calling, for the purpose of trying to pick up a read on your opponent, that's fine in my opinion (not an angle). But if you motion as if your chips have already gone in -- i.e. trying to make your opponent think you have called rather than just thinking about it -- well that's an angle. It is "legal" within the rules of poker but poor etiquette and considered immoral.