Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Lev 2 hand reading

[ QUOTE ]
The 2c on the turn was almost a perfect card, and you still folded on the turn. This means you should've folded on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not fishing for cards, I'm trying to cheaply figurre out If my hand is best.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Was this your line?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes it was.

What if I told you guys that Cappy can ONLY have AA,KK,QQ,*JJ*,AK,*AQ* based on his PF play

*maybe*

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I'm definitely in "no set, no bet" territory post-flop. I mean, if you're really like 60-80% sure he's got QQ-AA, then why are you calling any bet, even one a little less than 1/2 pot? If you think he's only playing ultra-premium hands like this, do you want to spend 90 on the off chance he's betting a whiffed AK, non-diamonds?

As an aside, is it really a winning strategy with AA-QQ to minraise out of the BB against 3 limpers? Seems to me like that's building a pot that's hard to get away from while letting 3 others who wanted to limp into the hand, so any str8 or flush draw is going to be very scary, and you can't be sure that strong betting on a low, uncoordinated board isn't trips...
Old 03-23-2005, 07:23 PM

I fold on the flop for the reasons that Phil gave.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:44 PM

I definitely fold the flop.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:07 PM

Results (if anyone cares):

PFR had black QQ
button had black 1010
Old 03-23-2005, 08:11 PM

I thought this thread was gonna be about figuring out what they think you have.

I fold the flop because a, I could be beaten already; b, there are like 80 scare cards that could come on the turn; c, I won't get any action if I make my straight; and d, I'm not that happy about making a set, even if it's the non-diamond 8.

Oh, another reason to fold the flop: there's a guy behind me who might a, raise forcing me to fold; or b, call, making it harder for me to bluff at a scare card on the turn.

I think if you want to keep playing on the flop, you should raise and not call. You can then either fold comfortably to a re-raise, or bluff at a lot of turn scare cards because you will probably have bought the button with your flop raise.

I am torn over whether folding or raising is the better line. Raising definitely has advantages. For example, don't you think the guy behind you will fold some better hands, like 99 and maybe even TT?
Old 03-23-2005, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought this thread was gonna be about figuring out what they think you have.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be nice, but I rarely get such thoughtful reponses when I post hands. I think I need to work on my technique. P.S. When I smooth call the flop it is really obvious what I have, any decent player should know I have a pair less then JJ that missed a set. More of a reason to fold the flop.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. When I smooth call the flop it is really obvious what I have, any decent player should know I have a pair less then JJ that missed a set. More of a reason to fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I'm advocating this line, but how would you have played the flop if you had made the nut flush? Or how would they have expected you to play?
Old 03-23-2005, 09:32 PM

I couldn't have the nut flush because I raise AdKd preflop and fold AdQd.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:53 PM

You seriously fold AQs here pf?

Anyhow, this hand is horribly played because you had no plan. On the flop, you are either ahead, drawing dead, or drawing to one out. That's where you make your decision. Calling the flop and folding a blank turn is silly. Did you expect him to check/fold the turn?