Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 08:24 AM

Default Re: A trip to the aquarium

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

They think changing a seat will change their luck. Seriously. It's the same reason that players ask for a setup or can't wait for a new dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]
If the OP really is the best player at the table, then sitting on his right is a pretty damn good idea; its an especially good idea if they did in fact have position on him earlier, as he said. You should all know this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Mason would argue that you want rocks on your left (because they're predictable) and fish/TAGs on your right (because they're not predictable), but I think your logic is better.

Anyhow, I wasn't responding to the comment that other players moved to his right; I was pointing out that a lot of players ask for a seat change to any other seat because they're superstitious.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You want bad players on your right becuase that is who you are making money from. Having a good player on your right is useless, its like putting a $10k stereo and 20" rims on your Chevelle. You wan't tight players on your left becuse you will get the button more often.

Don't waste your time trying to isolate good players. No matter how well you do it, they will never be worth as much to you as a bad player will be. In games where everyone doesn't suck and there are clear divisions between the good and bad players, a seat change can have a huge effect on your expectation.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. nice simple explaination.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2005, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm usually the best player at the table and have a pretty decent stack after winning a few pots. Time after time, I watch people voluntarily take the seat to my right. They go from having position on me to getting raised on a constant basis. Why would anyone do this to themselves?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ugh, you are thinking about this all wrong. If you really believe what you are saying than you need to think about it a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no expert but isn't the real question where you want the very aggressive players (on your right) vs. the passive callers (on your left)? It seems like you'd be able to play more marginal hands for only one bet if you've got the agressive raisers act before you.

Pretty sure this is what Phil Gordon advises in his book - agressive players to your right and passive to your left. Which makes sense to me because I'd rather have more information about the good TAG players, by acting after them. Are you saying his advice is completely the opposite of what is correct?
Old 03-07-2005, 10:40 AM

Ask onegymrat about the potentially devastating effects of having a TAG on your left!

Man I hope he sees this.

-Michael
Old 03-07-2005, 11:49 AM

loose on the right, tight on the left - aggression doesn't factor in nearly as much as tightness.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:06 PM

I'll ask for a seat change if I forgot my glasses and I'm at the end of the table. I'd much rather sit closer to the center so I can see the cards better.

Aside from that, I'm always humored by seat changers. Was playing binky stud the other day, and one of the players busts out. One of the rocks wants her seat because it's been "lucky" for her (she had been dragging a lot of pots, but the fact that she eventually ran out of chips seemed not to factor into the perception of luck).

This poor guy hand't won a hand the whole time I was there. So, he got the "hot seat," and some young gun came and took his old "unlucky" seat. Naturally, the young gun was soon stacking everyone else's chips, and people were commenting on the irony that the rock's seat didn't get hot until he abandoned it.

I really love this stuff.

And, yeah, I love talking poker to the guys next to me. They'll often give me really usefull tips like "The chances of getting dealt two good cards are really small, so you might as well play them if you get one good one" or "I read those books, but they didn't help a bit"

I mean, the idiotic comments speak volumes about what they're likely to be holding in any given hand.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:56 PM

I don't see why you'd want to be on the right of a thinking player. It makes your life miserable b/c I am more apt to raise pf and on the flop. This would make trying to see flop cheaply much tougher and you would be more apt to make a mistake
Old 03-07-2005, 01:01 PM

If you and I are equal, haveing position on me the whole game can definatly give you an edge over me. If you are better than me, when I have positoin on you, this should neutralize some of this skill disparity. Why would I want to be on your right when I know you are better than me?
Old 03-07-2005, 01:07 PM

Having a positional edge over Dynasty is not going to be worth nearly as much as an edge over a bad player. Stop wasting your time trying to win money from good players.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You want bad players on your right becuase that is who you are making money from. Having a good player on your right is useless, its like putting a $10k stereo and 20" rims on your Chevelle. You wan't tight players on your left becuse you will get the button more often.

Don't waste your time trying to isolate good players. No matter how well you do it, they will never be worth as much to you as a bad player will be. In games where everyone doesn't suck and there are clear divisions between the good and bad players, a seat change can have a huge effect on your expectation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree than you want the bad players on your right, but I don't see how it is smart for the bad player to move to the right of the 2+2er.

If you are bad you are going to lose no matter what, but he is going to lose more sitting to the right of the 2+2er than when he has position on him. If I'm wrong on this, tell me why.