Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Re: folding a big draw

if he is all in for 500 you should be able to raise your 500 and get it headup dont you think. nobody likes to stick all their chips in with draws or hands that could be hurting, but if you dont put it in with these type of hands, when you do they should all know you have a set. in general i like playing against players that have big made type hands when they move it in. makes my calling decisions easy in big pots.
although some games there is no need to gamble as they pay you off with any good looking hand anyway. then in these games deceptive cover is worthless.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:27 PM

yes it does. for those of you who just took Econ 101, it does not matter who put that money in: a sunk cost. however, dead money is critical to decisions, and the lesson sticks better when it is thought of as your investment or lack thereof.

matt
Old 01-19-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes it does. for those of you who just took Econ 101, it does not matter who put that money in: a sunk cost. however, dead money is critical to decisions, and the lesson sticks better when it is thought of as your investment or lack thereof.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree completely. There is 725 in the middle when he is faced with his decision. In a situation like this he should be thinking about the 725. Thinking about the fact that only 25 was "his" in spots like this is unlikely to help him make the most correct decision.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:50 PM

I think what Matt meant was that you would feel more psychologically tied to the pot (even though you shouldn't) if you invested say 250 compared to 25...that's all. I agree though, it should have no bearing on your decision since it's not your money anymore, but for most of us (myself included) it's much more difficult to fold a hand where I've invested 250 in than 25....
Old 01-19-2005, 03:34 PM

I think that's a leak that many tough players dont have.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:50 PM

D, no disagreement. you are not the kind of person who is helped by thinking of dead money you've put in as yours. it can help the fuzzy/poet 90% of the world and has a certain poetic noetic appeal.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
D, no disagreement. you are not the kind of person who is helped by thinking of dead money you've put in as yours. it can help the fuzzy/poet 90% of the world and has a certain poetic noetic appeal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understood what you were getting at, Matt. I just think it usually does more harm than good for those players to think in those terms. In addition to making bad calls solely because of how much money they put in, in some scenarios the poet will have none of his own money invested, but will get a great overlay to call. In that situation, I have seen such players make horrible folds because they "didn't have any money invested."