Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Re: 99 played fish style...

[ QUOTE ]
As for the hand, unless the person who raised the flop is a maniac, why call down? On the flop its multi-way and no draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

SB knows there's a good chance I don't have an ace. As I mentioned in the setup, SB has made plays at the pot on the flop and turn before. So, I know SB is capable of having a lot of hands here. I figure he is most likely to have some medium PP, 8x, or possibly just two big cards. And of course, he could have an ace, though I'm inclined to think he might just call that down (unless it's AK) rather than check-raise.

What I actually was curious to see is if anyone would suggest 3-betting the flop or raising the turn. Even if he has an ace, I think it's pretty tough for him to cap the flop or 3-bet the turn unless he as AK, and even then I don't think that's automatic.

So there's a good chance I can save an SB by 3-betting the flop or possibly fold some overcards to my 99 with a turn raise, while paying the same amount to get a showdown.

Probably not much better or worse than just calling down, but just throwing it out there...
Old 01-17-2005, 08:53 PM

If your read is that he is just as likely to have have to broadway cards as an ace, and you plan on calling the river, then you should raise this turn, you want him to fold his over cards and obviosuly something like TT. Its also a good play in the fact that you can fold to the 3 bet.

As for taking someone along on the ride preflop who likes to cold call, thats better suited for a hand like AA because then overcards to your pair cant come.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[quote

FWIW, I don't cold-call much. One of the only times I do it is when there is someone loose and bad yet to act such that I figure I'd like to have 'em along for the ride.

[/ QUOTE ]IMO this is some of the worst logic i have ever read on this forum... holdem is about position... when you are in the CO, you want the button to foldfoldfold.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a no limit player and very infrequent poster in these parts... But this statement that a fold is better than a call has to be wrong.

As for the hand, unless the person who raised the flop is a maniac, why call down? On the flop its multi-way and no draws.

-jason

[/ QUOTE ]

Im gunna disagree with this. By just cold calling, you are likely getting the cold calling button along, and more than likley one of the blinds. so you take a situation where instead of it being HU and with posistion, you are now playing 99 4 way where you have an equity of about 29% and thats just hot and cold numbers. Thats neglecting all the times you win just the 10SB or so becuase everyone wiffed the flop and they fold when you raise MP, versus all the time the flop comes with an overcard and you are stuck dumping 2.5BB into the pot by calling down (which is going to happen way more than scenerio 1). If its +EV its not by much, and for the sake of your sanity ("waaaaah, I always lose with my PP") I say if you arent going to 3 bet it, then you shouldnt even be playing it.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:32 PM

OK, how about this? I whiffed on 3-betting pre-flop and probably shouldn't have posted the hand at all, and especially not if I was going to try rationalizing it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

FWIW, I checked PT and my cold calling percent out of all my 5/10/6m hands is .27% (75 hands out of 27,000), so really I am not doing it a whole lot. Also FWIW, I'm +.14 BB/hand on those -- not that I am using that as a defense (especially being only 75 hands), but still, those aren't exactly disastrous results.

Anyway, thanks for the responses. SB had AJo and HHWG.