Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Moving to Washington DC

Where will your job be located?

Arlington is one of your best bets along with Bethesda MD, Glover Park (north of Georgetown, downtown) and the MCI Center vicinity.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:59 PM

1. Live inside the District. Unless you're 40 or dead, Arlington sucks. I realize a ton of people will disagree with me, but if you can afford it I think you should definitely live inside the D.C.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll only be needing a studio/1br and cost isn't that much of an issue (as long as I can get in for under 1k/month). I won't have a car so proximity to a metro station is key if I go suburban.

[/ QUOTE ]

2. If you're willing to settle for an efficiency, you can do this. With some looking and luck, you may find a 1 bedroom. But housing is expensive in D.C.

3. Adams Morgan, Dupont, Cleveland Park are all good areas to live in -- they're also really expensive outside of the occasional great deal. Check out Mount Pleasant or slightly east of 16th St. MtP is pretty trendy these days (I've been there about five years) but you can still find affordable places. Columbia Heights is a rapidly changing area. Georgia Ave. and Petworth are less accessible and still could be called "sketchy" depending on what you're used to and where you're coming from.

Overall, if you find a place in NW D.C. or any of the areas around the capitol (though Capitol Hill is getting better, it's still kind of dull) you're fine. The city's reputation as a dangerous place is quickly getting put behind it, especially in the Northwest quadrant.

On the whole, and not that you asked, this is a great city. Much of the backlash and trash talking about it concerns two areas -- it's not New York, and government workers are a pain in the ass and stuck up.

It isn't NYC, but that should be obvious (I don't know where this comparison started, but it continuously irks me) ... there is a lot of life in the city that has nothing to do with government, and many areas are in the midst of a tremendous resurgence.

All good things. I've lived here for five years and love it. I'm happy to answer any questions.

ElSapo

...and yes, Marion Barry - and 90% of all elected officials in the coty - is a complete idiot.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:16 PM

Becuase DC is not NYC (or Chicago for that matter) there is no real reason to live downtown. There is not much difference between downtown and Arlington and Bethesda, except for price (e.g. DC much more expensive).

In addition, most of the jobs are in Northern Virginia, not downtown, so you may have much better commuting from Arlington to Tysons Corner/Reston if that is where you are going.

If working downtown (or MD), then it is a different story.

That being said, there are some neat things about being downtown in some of the more trendy or easily accessible areas.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:16 PM

What he said, but $1000 a month is pretty tight in conjunction with metro access. I've got a postage stamp sized one bedroom in Logan circle with a 15 minute walk to the metro and I pay $1275.

I agree that Arlington is pretty boring and not much cheaper.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:20 PM

Yep, good advice. Aim for NW DC if you can swing it.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:06 PM

Yeah, Adams Morgon is hot. I wouldn't mind living there.

[ QUOTE ]
...and yes, Marion Barry - and 90% of all elected officials in the coty - is a complete idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was once staying at the Frenchman's Reef at the same time Marion Barry was up in the penthouse sniffing blow. Good times, but he didn't share his blow or his coty.

-2kF

PS - Avoid DC tourists during the summer at all costs. They reek of Pla-Doh. Really weird.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:53 PM

I think you can forget about $1000/month next to a metro stop in a really nice area in DC. You're going to have to compromise somewhere. Dupont Circle, which several people have mentioned, is very expensive and not all that interesting any more. One area I don't think got mentioned is U Street. The stretch between, say, 16th and 10th, NW is definitely up and coming, (though prices are rising there as a result, too). It used to be a pretty dangerous area but I think it's fine now. Good restaurants and night life, and right near a Green line station.

Adam's Morgan really isn't that metro accessible, is it?

I live in Bethesda. My wife and I have a pretty nice 1-bedroom and pay $1350, and we're about a ten minute walk to a metro station. the further you go out, say into Rockville, the prices will go down a bit, but your commute gets pretty long.

I may be biased, but I really like Maryland better than Virginia.

On another note, and this may not matter to you at all, but Maryland is definitely more liberal, Virginia more conservative.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Rhone.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:39 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have come to the conclusion that close to metro, in a nice area, and under 1k isn't gonna fly. [POKER] Guess I gotta step up my bonus whoring and actually get good at poker for the extra $$[/POKER]. Coming from UCSD/La Jolla, I am unfortunately/fortunately used to being gouged on rent.

I never mentioned it but my job is actually on Capitol Hill and I'll technically be a federal employee (insert barrage of insults here) if that changes anyone's opinon on me/where I should live.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:02 PM

I am looking for a roomie April 1st but it seems that might be too late for you!?!?! If you arnt dead set on having your own place take a poke around craigs list and you can find some groups houses at good rates.... it is also a good way to meet people in a town where connections mean everything. If you are working on the hill $1000 a month for rent is going to a lot of money... but then again it seems like you are not worried about cash.

The Columbia Heights neighborhood might be a good place to look if you really want your own place for under $1000. The neighborhood is in a constant state of 'transition' but there are some nice places.... decent efficencies can be found for under $900 with all utils included. It cant claim to be the safest area in DC but i can think of much worse places. Hope this helps....

cubs
Old 01-14-2005, 12:41 PM

If you are working on CapHill you should live downtown. As Cubs said, look for a group house to save $$.