Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Do I just suck at limit ring games?

I don't really care if I can beat it, I know I'm not going to lose 50 BB in 500 hands ($100 bonus, 500 hands for it). I'm 4-tabling so I can get done and go back to my bread and butter of SNGs.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No high PPs are holding for me, people with ridiculous hands are winning pots left and right, maybe I'm just not cut out for ring low-limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

examine this sentence carefully to see why your thinking is flawed.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:38 PM

I completely understand downswings are a part of this game, I have awful downswings with SNGs all the time and just play through them. The reason I posted about this is because I don't play much ring HE and am looking to plug any major leaks I have early. I don't have much desire to learn to beat 1/2 ring for much, as I do well with SNGs and don't particularly care for ring anyway. Just trying to keep as much of my bonus as possible.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll raise AKo sometimes

[/ QUOTE ]

Always always raise AKo unless you meet a rock who only raises with KK/AA. PokerTracker can tell you who these people are. Try getting Lee Jones' Winning Low Limit Hold'em and when you've got that all understood go to Small Stakes Hold'em by Ed Miller and HoldEm for Advanced Players by David Sklansky.

If you master the wisdom in all of those you'll be asking different questions on the forum. How hard can it be?? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

and yes, post hands. People may well eat you alive but you get to learn from your mistakes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2005, 06:39 PM

What, that I think those people ARE cut out for the game? Definitely not. Am I cut out for it? Probably not. That's why I play SNGs mostly and only play this to roll over my bonuses.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What, that I think those people ARE cut out for the game? Definitely not. Am I cut out for it? Probably not. That's why I play SNGs mostly and only play this to roll over my bonuses.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you really felt this way then why even make this post in the first place?
Old 01-07-2005, 06:41 PM

I think my problem has been looking at 1/2 ring as level 1 of a SNG, where I normally won't raise AKo because the risk just isn't worth the reward. Takes a bit to get back into ring games I guess.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I really be raising much more than that in these games? I'll raise AKo sometimes, but I've definitely been limping with any other AQ-AT. Any links to threads that post good recs on hands to raise in these games? I'm pretty confident I'm playing reasonably well post-flop, and my starting hand selection has been alright I think. Granted, it's been a few years since I've played full ring HE, so maybe I'm just out of touch.

[/ QUOTE ]

BUY ME
Old 01-07-2005, 06:43 PM

You need to buy and read and study and worship Small Stakes Hold'em by Ed Miller.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:45 PM

Because as I said lower in the thread, I want to keep as much of my bonuses as possible. I don't plan on spending a ton of time with ring, but enough to where it'd probably be in my interest to improve.