Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 03:05 AM

Default Re: Race to 20k

Although i can see you doing this in say 20-23 weeks if you have the experince you say you do, i'd prefer to change the bet slightly so you dont end up losing a friend. Why not say something along the line of, the other has to make up the difference or pay for a holiday somewhere cool. $20000, is quite a some to wager on something like this, but 20-23 work is worse.

just my 2 cent

harry
Old 11-24-2004, 03:10 AM

Yeah, actually, you've got to be correct.

-Diplomat
Old 11-24-2004, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe this for a second. It's too dumb to believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, why would you waste 3 months of playing (even though yes it is for a limited number of hands/hours) for $40,000 or $0 if you are such a good high stakes player.

Completely stupid.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, why would you waste 3 months of playing (even though yes it is for a limited number of hands/hours) for $40,000 or $0 if you are such a good high stakes player.

Completely stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

For ego dominance and the establishment of pack role leadership. The perfect way to establish who the "poker playing alpha male" will be. Basically the childhood "I told you so" concept. If you claim to be above this behavior, then you are lying. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2004, 04:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you look through this poster's history, I've come to the conclusion that either he's got some type of split personality thing going on or half of his posts are full of crap. He supposedly has the BR to play $25/$50 NL and $100/$200 but he's looking for places to bonus whore, and trying to get cash for a $100 TEC from UB? Is there something I'm missing?

Plus a player making as much money as you claim to be making would know how ridiculous of a bet this is, and what a waste of your time and money it is.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:01 AM

I don't claim to be above it, but I don't feel the need to wager 20 grand with someone who I've been friends with for quite a long time. 20k is ALOT of money, why not put it towards your future or something? Instead of gambling it away?
Old 11-24-2004, 04:22 AM

Well, kids don't know the value of money, especially if they come from it, but it still seems out of line to me.

Winning or losing is what establishes "Mirror mirror on the wall/Who's the studliest one of all?" The actual wager is irrelevant. So, why waste $20,000 on it, seems a more sensible way to look at it.

Not that kids are sensible or anything...

P.S. -- I don't know these guys relationship that well, but people have killed each other for five bucks. My expectation is that with most people, if you lose, they of course want you to pay; if they lose, they welsh on the bet. If they're about to lose, they either disappear out of your life or create some phony argument to create a friendship "break-up" so they can ignore the bet or advance some phoney argument as to why it no longer counts. Or even try something so simple as the tactic of, "If you were really a friend, you wouldn't ask to collect," even though they sure as hell would ask to collect if they had won.

On average, a situation like this leaves you without money, without the friendship, or fairly likely both.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:39 AM

worst. bet. ever

the loser "loses" ALOT more than 20k here in opportunity cost
Old 11-24-2004, 06:51 AM

I dont think this bet is bad at all. Judging from his other posts, I'm positive neither of them will ever hit 20k, so whats the problem?
Old 11-24-2004, 11:50 AM

This is EXACTLY what I was going to say next.

Well Put.