Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are you worried at all about the series with the Red Sox now?
F*%K NO! Them bean-eaters are just giving us more season to love. 5 23.81%
Nah. We'se gots Geetur, we should be ok. 4 19.05%
Eh, some, but I'm sure well spank Pedro. 3 14.29%
I'm pissing my pants here! 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2004, 03:05 AM

Default Re: So will CBS fire someone over phony document-gate?

"You might have a point if it was just the USA that got it wrong. However, British, Egyptian, Jordanian and Russian intelligence all said he had WMDs or WMD capability. Even Clinton's administration said that."

Wait, explain to me the rules of logical thinking again-

This was my quote.
"don't you think that starting a war on incorrect intelligence that has taken the lives of anywhere from 10,000-100,000 people is a wee bit worse than reporting on an incorrect story?"

You refute my point by saying, "BUt wait, we were ALL wrong. LOts of people, a whole shitload of people. Our friends, neighbors, allies. All of them wrong with us, and therefor we must be right".
Is that what you were trying to say? Because it sure as hell sounds like you are trying to excuse the administration's interpretations by comparing their results to other erroneous results. If you want to defend people who were wrong but wrong in the majority, you go ahead.

Also- Both Poweel and RIce had made statements that they did not believe that Iraq had WMD capabilities, so at one point two people in the administration were reading the information correctly.
And one more thing- After amassing our forces on the border of Iraq, did Hussien not capitulate and allow all weapons inspecotrs back in. Do you think that we may have gotten the correct information, possibly? Somehow?

"Why is it, though, that everyone forgets the real reason Iraq was invaded?"

You know, for some reason the president of the United States cannont just fling the us military might whereever he wants. There is also a legislative branch that has to approve and grant him such powers. Memebers fo said branch are elected officials and are beholden to their constituents. The case presented to the public was one of WMDs and ties to Al Queda. This is the information that the administration used to justify its war, not the 17 un sanctions violations.
Also, when was the Us granted power to enforce UN mandates without the approval of the UN?

ohh- and one more thing
"Remember 13 years ago when he signed the cease-fire accords after invading and subjugating Kuwait?"

Remember some guy named Goerge H W Bush who didn't go into Iraq to topple saddam, and one of his reasons was that there wasn't a viable exit strategy, and that they would lose tons of support in the arabic world? Boy, sure wish someone in the current administration had met him once or twice, maybe they could have forseen some of these events.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:50 AM

Default Re: So will CBS fire someone over phony document-gate?

"You might have a point if it was just the USA that got it wrong. However, British, Egyptian, Jordanian and Russian intelligence all said he had WMDs or WMD capability. Even Clinton's administration said that."

In March 2002 the British Joint Intelligence Committee, which amalgamates British intelligence for the cabinet, reported that it thought Saddam had some stocks of agent precursors and "may" had a small amount of WMD capability (even that was filled with caveats, as it was based on guesswork and informants that the UK intelligence services acknowledged were not reliable), and that he posed no significant threat to his neigbhbours, never mind the US or anywhere else. In the run up to the war that intelligence suddenly became a lot harder despite the fact that no new evidence had been found, pointing to blatant politicisation.