Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2004, 03:34 PM

Default Re: The Dark Ages of America...

I don't understand why this is a big deal at all. I'm a married man (to a woman). Frankly I don't care whether the government recognized my marriage or not. And I don't care whether PITTM recognizes my marriage or not. And I don'ty care if my homosexual neighbors recognize it. Why do gay people want to try to force the rest of us to "recognize" their marriage? Why not just get the chip off your shoulder? Stop being a drama queen and get on with your life?
Old 11-03-2004, 03:36 PM

Gays can already have:

1) Joint Bank Accounts
2) Own a home together
3) Adopt children (This one has nothing to do with being married)
4) Etc-The only thing they are missing is the tax benefit. Allowing gays to marry simply for tax reasons is not a compelling need.

The problem is that gays want to be married for all the wrong reasons. Handing them a marriage certificate will not make them love one another more. They seem to want public acceptance of their alternative lifestyle and want a minority viewpoint forced on the majority of people who disagree with their sexual proclivity. Again not a compelling reason to allow them the title of husband and husband or wife and wife.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im pretty sure its the fact that their moral beliefs are based completely upon a fictional book...not actual logic as to what is fair and what isnt fair. the same people who are arguing against me now are the people who probably would have argued against civil rights in the 60's. They might say something like, what "right" do blacks have to vote? its just nonsensical. are homosexuals not legitimate human beings in peoples eyes? Thats the question that baffles me.rj

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not against civil rights. I'm against what the government has defined as civil rights. I'm against the government telling me who I can and can't hire, fire, do business with or allow in my place of business. Those are civil rights. And it's immoral for the government to tell me what I have to do with my own personal property/business. Certainly blacks should be allowed to vote but I shouldn't have to sell them a meal after their trip to the polls if I don't want to.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:38 PM

how much more difficult would it be for you and your wife to do things like have a joint bank account or file taxes jointly if you werent married. if its not a big deal, then why did you do it in the first place?

rj
Old 11-03-2004, 03:39 PM

Default YES!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Why doesn't the government get out of the marrying business? RR

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly!!! This whole thing is the silliest, most unimportant "platform" ever!!! Get married if you want! Why do you care who else recognized it?
Old 11-03-2004, 03:40 PM

ok, so if is just for tax purposes, why are states amending their constitution to not allow it?

rj
Old 11-03-2004, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing they are missing is the tax benefit.

[/ QUOTE ]What benefit? The marriage penalty?
Old 11-03-2004, 03:43 PM

absolutely sickening post. step out of the 1960's.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, so if is just for tax purposes, why are states amending their constitution to not allow it?

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

I answered that in my previous post. Why allow a minority viewpoint to inpose thier views the lives of the majority? It just doesn't make sense. As for an exact reason why it was on the ballots in 11 states it is because of the Supreme Court of Mass. Their interpretation of marriage screws up the other 49 states interpretation. It now became necessary to clarify legally what a marriage is because of a bunch of liberal judges making new law that could affect the rest of America.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how much more difficult would it be for you and your wife to do things like have a joint bank account or file taxes jointly if you werent married. if its not a big deal, then why did you do it in the first place? rj

[/ QUOTE ]
ANYONE can have a joint bank account. It doesn't require marriage. Filing taxes jointly doesn't get you anything, and many married couples still file separately. We did it for us. To formalize our relationship. ?You're free to do the same. It wasn't done out of convenience. If that's your reason then you're clearly not ready for the committment, gay or stright. Do you know what a wedding costs or the hassles involved for crying out loud?