Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2004, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Free Will Theodicy

Thank you, this is a much simpler idea of why we must have the ability to make mistakes...otherwise our positive choices or innovation lose their value. Having to do something when someone is watching is not a test of character, or readiness for more responsibility.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Presence Of \"Evil?\"

Plenty of people suffer simply due to misfortune. Many cases have nothing to do with free will. How could a good god allow so much suffering?
Old 10-16-2004, 06:49 PM

In many ways, suffering is the engine that drives the evolution of the species.
/M
Old 10-16-2004, 07:35 PM

I'm serious--ASK Him--and KEEP asking. He's the Great Teacher, you know. If you genuinely want to know something about God--He's the source of all knowledge.

Suffering is a tough question--it plagues believers and non-believers alike.
Sometimes it helps me to look at the things from the opposite direction.

The Bible says that Man is a fallen creature. Born in sin, and living in rebellion against God. (Sin can be seen as rebellion in some contexts).
If you accept the Bible's statement, then you might ask how much suffering does God PREVENT?
If we truly are all sinners (and I see nothing in the world to DISPROVE it), in a state of rebellion against God and His Laws, caring only for ourselves, unloving, unspiritual, and unwilling to acknowledge Him--then what sort of world should we expect?
Perhaps we should thank Him more often for every day we DON'T suffer! What makes us think we DESERVE anything more? What has each of US done today to alleviate ANYONE'S suffering? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2004, 01:08 AM

you assume the suffering of others...you can only know your own situation. the things you perceive as suffering can be likened to puppets or robots except in *their* reality. If there are people who make decisions thtt put them in situations that seem miserable, it is something they need to experience.

When you say children don't choose, you are not allowing for the possibility of reincarnation. Again, it is a whole package that involves creating your own reality, but not being responsible for others except in how you feel about your behavior. If you are not proud of your behavior it isn't good for you. If you are proud of it, it is good for you. However, what you do has no *real* affect on others except as an example of good or bad results.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are not proud of your behavior it isn't good for you. If you are proud of it, it is good for you. However, what you do has no *real* affect on others except as an example of good or bad results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Objection! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
1. The people beheading captives in the name of God (shudder) right now are proud of their behavior.
2. If someone cuts my head off, it definitely has an impact.
3. At the end of your sentence, you say "good or bad" results....by whose standard, assuming your argument holds water?

It's a very basic question, but one we each need to answer for ourselves--is there, or is there not, ONE STANDARD for good/evil? IS there such a thing as TRUTH, or is everything subjective in the end?

The Bible says there IS a standard, by which ALL men are measured. It says there IS truth --which will "set you free".
What say ye?
Old 10-18-2004, 04:02 PM

Thanks for all the replies. As far as myself, I don't suppose I'm "looking" for any answer in particular. That's just one of those questions I think most of us have across in regards to religion, and at least some of the people I've asked have given lets say, less then intelligent responses. *L*

I just like hearing different pov's about this subject. It's always nice to get a refreshing perspective.

Well, my question is this at that moment. Speaking from purely a logical perspective. Regardless of your views on "Free Will," the statements I had posted above:

Or, is he able, but, not willing. Then that would make him malevolent.
Yes? No? Maybe? It just seems as far as logistics play out, that in the bible, we have the Ten Commandments, and within those Commandments we have "Thou Shalt Not Kill."
Assuming God created us in his image, then it would stand to reason, would it not, that he would be incapable of doing anything "less than Godlike," right? Because we're under the assumption that God is perfect. Then that would mean anger, retribution, justice, and let's say in this case malovelance, because that's what this statements regarding, right? His unwillingness to stop suffering, or "evil."

Now, I'm neither really pro or anti-God. I'm just looking for different opinions. Please feel free to berate me if I'm wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] *L*
Old 10-19-2004, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is God willing to prevent evil, but, unable?
Then that would mean he's not omnipotent, right?
Or, is he able, but, not willing.
Which would mean he's malevolent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Theology aside, this is flawed logic. You are making all sorts of ASSUMPTIONS in order to reach your conclusions.

Your question addresses a LOT of foundational issues in Christianity.
1. Free Will
2. Original Sin
3. The Wrath of God
4. Justice
5. Salvation
6. Man's relationship to God
7. Faith

The reason you will never get a 'logical' answer is because your own question is illogical.
*and it covers a lot more ground than can be covered in a forum like this.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:24 PM

The rivers are full of crocodile nasties
And he who made kittens put snakes in the grass.
He’s a lover of life but a player of pawns ---
Yes, the king on his sunset lies waiting for dawn
To light up his jungle
As play is resumed.
The monkeys seem willing to strike up the tune.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:49 PM

The Rainbow comes and goes,
And lovely is the Rose,
The Moon doth with delight
Look round her when the heavens are bare;
Waters on a starry night
Are beautiful and fair;
The sunshine is a glorious birth;
But yet I know, where'er I go,
That there has past away a glory from the Earth.

--Wordsworth