Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 05:18 PM

Default Re: But they were sooted!

Meh, I guess you meant the pot is "large enough" to shift our focus from gaining extra bets (via going for overcalls instead of raising) to maximizing our chances of winning the pot. I think that raising accomplishes both, since I doubt anyone who would have called one bet on the flop or the turn will for for two, but point taken.

Right, are you protecting your hand? are you value betting? Its hard to tell, but raising for one or the other, or both reasons can't be bad here.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I finally moved out of being an Eagle (TA-N) to being a Moneybag (TA-A). This after being a Mouse/Rock for months

[/ QUOTE ]

I love these references. I use like 5 icons in my player ratings, it seems like most people on this site have their own Poker Tracker zoo going.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:38 PM

Sorry - reference to a good Bison post over in Micros a while back.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Meh, I guess you meant the pot is "large enough" to shift our focus from gaining extra bets (via going for overcalls instead of raising) to maximizing our chances of winning the pot. I think that raising accomplishes both, since I doubt anyone who would have called one bet on the flop or the turn will for for two, but point taken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right.

Edit: Everyone's advice about the bet being for value too is great. I should have mentioned that. My earlier post comes off wrong.

- Jason
Old 10-19-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Raise the turn, not the flop

Let's be clear now. People have rightly chastised you for failing to raise both the flop and 4th street. But my feedback will be more specific.

Call on the flop, raise on the turn. A raise on the flop makes it 24 SBs in the pot, so calling the raise is 12:1. Gutshots will be getting correct odds to call, so raising the flop is not going to protect your hand. All a raise on the flop will do is handcuff everybody else to the pot until the river.

However a raise on 4th street is more correct. After your raise, there will be 16 big bets in the pot, making it 8:1 for the next caller. Now looking to pay 8:1, gutshots will be making a mistake to call. Of course 4th street also created a flush redraw, and they should call since they're getting more than twice what they need to call, so you wont fold any flushes. However you will have protected your hand from gutshots (10.5:1 against) and made it less profitable (though it is still profitable) for paired hands to call hoping to spike the side card or trip up. Furthermore, even flush draws and paired hands will think before calling, because they're going to be afraid of a 3-bet from the LAG. So might even get some folds here from paired or flush draw hands.

If reraised by the LAG or somebody behind you, call only, then check-call the river.

The fact that the LAG is betting into you on the flop makes the call with intention of raising 4th street, the right move. This is a clear example in my mind of waiting until the turn to raise because you will vastly improve your chances of protecting your hand.