Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2004, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Paul Phillips, Legends of Poker

Maybe. I don't know. I was just curious because at the Bike this year my WPT entry form stated clearly that there were no deals allowed. I guess I had just assumed that they had always had this policy.

I do know that players made deals anyways but that was usually far before the final table.
Old 10-13-2004, 12:33 PM

Exactly
Old 10-13-2004, 03:29 PM

The thing about that play was that Paul hadn't put much money into the pot. He had $500k and both players had checked the flop and the turn.

Whether he made a deal or not, it was an embarassingly bad play. He looked like death after it.

He said "I can't believe you would play a 7 like that"... Why not? A gut shot draw likes free cards. Then a big overbet after a few nice bluffs (on previous hands).

Paul made a few bad plays on that table and I am sure he learned a ton from the experience and it has made him a better player today. Mel was much much more experienced and just outplayed him. I am sure Paul would admit that now. Saying he would call 25% of the time is ridiculous when the call was a monstrous all-in relative to his stack size.

btw, Paul would have been eliminated in 3rd place if his 2-0uter 77 hadn't outdrawn TJ's pre-flop All-in with JJ.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe. I don't know. I was just curious because at the Bike this year my WPT entry form stated clearly that there were no deals allowed. I guess I had just assumed that they had always had this policy.

I do know that players made deals anyways but that was usually far before the final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember correctly they didn't have this policy until it was made public through Sports Illustrated that there was a deal made at a WPT final table. Since then they had that disclaimer. This may be the one they were talking about.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing about that play was that Paul hadn't put much money into the pot. He had $500k and both players had checked the flop and the turn.

Whether he made a deal or not, it was an embarassingly bad play. He looked like death after it.

He said "I can't believe you would play a 7 like that"... Why not? A gut shot draw likes free cards. Then a big overbet after a few nice bluffs (on previous hands).

Paul made a few bad plays on that table and I am sure he learned a ton from the experience and it has made him a better player today. Mel was much much more experienced and just outplayed him. I am sure Paul would admit that now. Saying he would call 25% of the time is ridiculous when the call was a monstrous all-in relative to his stack size.

btw, Paul would have been eliminated in 3rd place if his 2-0uter 77 hadn't outdrawn TJ's pre-flop All-in with JJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the bad lay-down that Paul made when he flopped top pair (with the J7o) set up his losing call against Mel on this hand. I'm still mystified on that top pair hand. I figured the flop check behind was to induce a bluff from Mel. It worked to perfection. You couldn't have asked for a better turn card. I expected him to instantly call when Mel shoved, but I guess he suspected something was up. I think he could have been a little more conscious of his table image at that point. It seemed like many of the other players felt Paul was pushing them around, especially after the brazen J2 bluff that he showed.