Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2004, 11:49 AM

Default Re: I Still Suck at Poker : 88 in the BB

Hi GoT,

You don't suck at poker. Tough hand.

Your river fold is fine IF you are sure of your read. The problem is that so many players bet AK here hoping to represent a big pair, even though they have no hope of ever making someone fold a hand like you have. Oops. Or do they?

With UTG + 1 calling, ok, he takes away a little equity since he could have a hand like 99 or TT and be playing scared passive. Still, I'm not too concerned about him.

So, fine fold if you know your man. But you have to be very sure.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 10-01-2004, 12:18 PM

Go Dodgers!!
Old 10-01-2004, 01:08 PM

Go Dodgers!!

Yes, most definitely go Dodgers! We may not even need their help though, as all our beloved 'Stros have to do is sweep the Rockies to guarantee them a playoffs berth thanks to MLB's stupid rule on tie-breaker games counting for regular season record. I.e. if SF sweeps LA and necessitates a playoff for the NL West Pennant, the loser will have a worse record than the Astros and lose the Wild Card by half a game.

At least that's the way it used to be. MLB may have changed the rule in the last few years.

GoT
Old 10-01-2004, 01:37 PM

Default Re: I Still Suck at Poker : 99 in the BB

Doesn't seem like it would accomplish anything in this situation, unless you're thinking if it gets 4 bet you can call and fold the turn if you don't improve.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:01 PM

Does it make any sense to 3-bet pre-flop here with 6 opponents?
Old 10-01-2004, 02:17 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

If I'm calling the turn here, I'm calling the river too. Especially closing the action.

I like clarks idea of a turn c/r. No one else raised so it's very likely they dont have a 4. You can represent it. (you are in a blind so even if they see you as tight, it may work) Or try to, anyways, and may possibly get a better hand to fold and/or clean up some outs if anyone with overcards folds.

Or you can just bet out on the turn when the board pairs. Some will fold just to that. If raised, it will be very unlikely that you're ahead and you can fold. Unless you think this guy is capable of raising this turn bet with only overcards, then i'd lean to the c/r.

b
Old 10-01-2004, 02:17 PM

I think they changed the tiebreaker rules, this is from an article on mlb.com (although the content of the article is not approved by MLB, whatever that means):

"What happens if the Dodgers, Giants and Astros all finish the season with the same record, leaving the NL West and the NL Wild Card winners undecided?

The Dodgers and Giants would have a one-game playoff in San Francisco to determine the West champion on Monday. The loser would play the Astros in a one-game playoff to determine the Wild Card winner on Tuesday."

link
Old 10-01-2004, 02:21 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
UTG would have to be a maniac to bet again into two people on river with AK if he is anywhere near decent, he'd know the river bet won't even push out a bottom pair on that board...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is far from a maniacal play from someone holding AK. Ak's river bet just pushed out 88, didn't it? The other guy may also just have overcards. He was probably suprised that GoT folded the river here as he's the only one who also showed aggression during the hand.

b
Old 10-01-2004, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG is a decent player, not overly aggressive, but still decently aggressive and decently tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

With this description, I would 3-bet the flop. If he 4-bets, I would check/fold the turn unimproved. If he just calls, I would lead out on the turn.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:36 PM

Hey J.R.,

I had read that article, but since it wasn't endorsed by MLB and most people never knew about that little nuance in the official rules, I didn't give them writer complete credit for knowing what they were talking about regarding that one particular scenario and they didn't mention the controversy over it from '95. I did a search though and BP has an article that makes it clear there was indeed a change in the rules between then and now.

GoT