Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2004, 05:29 AM

Default Re: Hansesn\'s call with his T8d? Whats going on?

Give me a break on READS, you have T8s, it's a gamble play . end of story....

READING is over rated and over used excuse for BS on here.... I am fed up!

I had to finally say it...

>TW<
Old 09-09-2004, 06:08 AM

Pot odds? This is a tournament not a ring game, take your pot odds elsewhere. We're talking about the two chip leaders when its down to 4-5 players. He probably wasn't getting the odds he needed even if he knew he was up against 67 suited. The only way he'd be correct to make this call is if he knew he had the hand dominated (like 10,6 or 8,9).

By the way Im completely sick of the "this money doesnt matter to them" argument. If you're a good poker player then be a good poker player. I can honestly tell you I play exactly the same way at 10cent/20cent that I do at $10/$20. Now of course I change my strategy/style of play based on the texture of the game, which often correlates to the betting limit... but a true poker player plays the game correctly.

I'm tired of these guys that are independently wealthy pretending to be poker pros. You can spot a true professional like Paul Darden easily from watching them play. He didn't give up when he was short stacked or make dumb plays b/c he was frustrated. You can tell he wasnt given an infinite bankroll to learn with.

And that badbeatdetector guy is hilarious.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:23 AM

Well said mtdurham!

I agree! There are a few too many rich folk in poker... If I had Phil Gordon or Paul Phillips money I probably would be too busy screwing to ever sit down at a poker table, but that could be just me.

I'd bet at least one of 'the crew' if not all of them is a spoiled rich brat...

And it shows... Hard to believe they all slaved their way up the ladder by/before age 25... then again look who our President is.... YIKES!

>TW<
Old 09-09-2004, 06:50 AM

I agree that pot odds have no relevance in a tournament.

-Michael
Old 09-09-2004, 07:44 AM

I think it was a good play. He was getting like 5-3 with pot odds. The suited gapper is not going to be that big an underdog except against a pair ten or higher. It is 5-handed, and his opponent doesn't need much to move in with Gus' loose aggressive style.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:13 AM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

[ QUOTE ]
10 8s is about even money to 77.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love when people come with these kind of comments. Shows how much they understand about poker.

Yes, 10 8 is close to even money to 77 but the call was made WITHOUT Gus knowing that the other guy had 77, because if he instead has JJ then it's not that close and your comment looks quite silly doesn't it?

Try thinking about the situation as it appears before the cards are revealed instead of making comments after you have all the facts.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're a good poker player then be a good poker player. I can honestly tell you I play exactly the same way at 10cent/20cent that I do at $10/$20.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't. I played a penny game like this with coworkers, and the stakes made it absolutely boring to me. I would raise blind 50% of the time. Push my stack with marginal holdings etc. By the end of the night I think I was down $5!!!!

The stakes of the game can drastically effect how a person plays. In this case, the dollar stakes might not have meant anything, but image stakes could be higher.

Maybe Gus felt that if he made that call and won his image would be even more crazy. Might as well do it in a freeroll. I'm not claiming that is why he made the move, just that it's possible.

But to say that you would sit there and grind it out playing perfect poker for pennies is hilarious. What's the point. I'd rather just not play, but if I have to I'm gunna gambooool. And it is hardly even gambling when you can't even make a dent in your normal bankroll.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But to say that you would sit there and grind it out playing perfect poker for pennies is hilarious. What's the point. I'd rather just not play, but if I have to I'm gunna gambooool. And it is hardly even gambling when you can't even make a dent in your normal bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're just playing to hang out with friends and have a good time, you're not really playing poker, you're socializing and the poker is secondary. I don't recall which poker book I read this in (though its probably in all of them), but if a game is worth your time to sit down and play, its worth your best effort.

Even if someone like Paul Phillips has enough money to not be heartbroken if they lose their buyin, they're wasting their time not playing their best.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:36 AM

Okay. So the stakes in this tournament are don't mean anything to Hansen so thats why he was playing loose and badly. Okay.. in the Superstars where he and the other supposedly put up 400,000 each. How do you explain his play in the first round or is 400k not meaningful to Hansen either.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:32 PM

Hansen is reading Antonio for a small pair and figures his 10 and 8 are overcards. They are also 1-gappers and suited, giving him a wide range of outs if his small-pair read is correct.

If he wins the pot, his image is wild and lucky.

If he loses the pot, his image is wild and unlucky.

Either way he has many outs if his read is right, and the call maintains his wild image, even though the 10-8 was worth playing (with many outs) assuming a great read, which is what looks like from here.

Moral of story: stellar reading skill increases the value of many (otherwise) marginal holdings.