Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Choose the photo(s) you like best for the $1 chip
1 4 4.71%
2 13 15.29%
3 1 1.18%
4 7 8.24%
5 18 21.18%
6 9 10.59%
7 18 21.18%
8 15 17.65%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2004, 09:40 PM

Default Re: 2+2 Book Club Poll

I can't believe everyone is voting for SSHE. Do the beginning players not understand that this isn't a book for beginners? Do the people who aren't beginners not care if they leave the beginners behind on this one? Or did I think there were more beginners in this thing than there actually are?

Don't take offense to this, but with all the confusion over the first couple sections, which is pretty much basic stuff, I simply thought that probably about half the people participating in this thing were beginning players.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:44 PM

ITH would be good. Reading it now and think I'd get a lot out discussing with other who are reading it also.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe everyone is voting for SSHE. Do the beginning players not understand that this isn't a book for beginners? Do the people who aren't beginners not care if they leave the beginners behind on this one? Or did I think there were more beginners in this thing than there actually are?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then feel free to make an executive decision and go with the book that you feel would be best.

As evidenced by any election, the masses don't always know what is best.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:00 PM

HI all,
I'm a noob to these boards and poker as well. However I have read both WLLH and have started on ITH and have to agree with everyone who has voted for ITH. It is very informative and the hand examples are great for beginners.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably a combination of all of the above, but especially the last one.

[ QUOTE ]
Don't take offense to this, but with all the confusion over the first couple sections, which is pretty much basic stuff, I simply thought that probably about half the people participating in this thing were beginning players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't consider everyone who misses some of the questions i've seen to be a beginner. The discussion ensuing on a lot of the threads doesn't look at all like it's among beginners.

The real question is whether beginners are following along on the discussion or feeling blown away. I'd encourage any beginning player who feels strongly one way or the other to post here or PM MEbenhoe.

DISCLAIMER: I was sick this past week and didn't participate as much as i wanted to, so i may be somewhat ignorant of the recent quality of discussion. I'm going by Chs. 1-4. And i haven't been playing poker that long so take everything i say with a grain of salt....
Old 09-03-2004, 02:09 PM

Despite the poll, there does seem like a lot of interest in ITH. If & when you do ITH, I would hope for a slower pace. For noobs like me, 4-chapter chunks might be to much to digest at one time. It's actually quite a dense book. The chapter on 'Top Pair/Overpair' for post flop play is a doozy - probably enough there for one discussion thread by itself.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:11 AM

I vote for ITH. Of course we will study SSH, but lets do it in order. Why study the graduate level text before the undergrad text?
Old 09-08-2004, 01:32 PM

I think the lower rate of reponses for the chapter sections as we go deeper into TOP belies the poll results regarding the pace of the reading (polls are often wrong so this should not be surprising).

I, for one, have fallen behind. I think we need more off days for people who unfortunately have day jobs and need to catch up.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the lower rate of reponses for the chapter sections as we go deeper into TOP belies the poll results regarding the pace of the reading (polls are often wrong so this should not be surprising).

I, for one, have fallen behind. I think we need more off days for people who unfortunately have day jobs and need to catch up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this, university started with a vengeance this semester. *grr*