Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2004, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Interesting Final Table chop

That is a crappy structure. The only way you were going to get first place was to get a 3 way pot, especially if the old man wasn't going to play. Sounds like a crap shoot.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:46 PM

Stack sizes were all almost equal when the deal was proposed. So I rejected the deal thinking that I would get first position by stealing blinds. However what I didn't realize is that in order to get first I would have to bust somebody out. So one person busted another out right after the proposed deal, and got first place. The man wound up with a few more chips than me for 2nd. Had I had enough time to steal the blinds which were 8/16 with our stacks being 192, I would have taken at least 2nd.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:50 PM

I'm going to go against the general consensus and say you made the right call. The only reason you got screwed is because someone got knocked out on the very next hand.

If it plays out for a few more hands, you rate to ensure yourself 2nd place, which is a profit over the proposed chop.

If you want 1st, you do have to bust someone out, but even a complete coin flip between 1st and 4th is better EV than the chop. There are enough people going all-in that you surely can get a better hand than a coin flip if you want to go this route.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:12 PM

I was thinking the same thing...If they really only go all in on steals and pairs, then I would be raising almost every hand.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:28 AM

Stealing blinds is a good strategy but wil back fire and you only need to run into a real hand to mess it up.

UNLESS you are playing total morons which I doubt.

Like I said guys are always 2nd guessing themselves on chops.

I remember a few years ago at the Srs. final in Crystal Park we did a chop equity chop at about 4am - I had the chop lead and low man was Chuck T. a very good tournament pro. I met Chuck a few months later in Reno and he looked at me and said my "chips were worth more then that". So do the chop whats done is done and move on.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stealing blinds is a good strategy but wil back fire and you only need to run into a real hand to mess it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising the minimum was sufficient. So I raised 32 chips to get 24 chips ( Blinds were 8/16, my stack 192). So I could afford running into a big hand once in 2-3 hands and still break even.