Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2003, 04:47 PM

Default Re: 30-60 Standard call or easy fold?

hi poker
the call is fine, in fact you could reraise occasionally. the fish will likely call, and you should wind up in a four or five way.

the idea about reraising occasionally when your image is solid/tight and your opponents tend to check to the raiser, is that you might get a free-card if needed. if it slides off, or your hand improves to an open-end straight, you will have extra opportunities on the turn, particularly if your turn raise is likely to get things heads up.

now, this is not something that you should do every time or even more than rarely. but if your raises are getting too much respect, and you need to loosen up your image, reraising with 77 on the button is an option.

will you ever make this play? no. no poker, you never will. but do call with your 77. your getting great implied odds from the button even if you think the hand will develop as a 4-way. if, however, it looks like a less than 4-way, then i think folding against this particular opponent is correct. 77 is a pretty starter though. it's a tough fold, and you need to think about other ways of playing it. you do need at least four in the hand.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:49 PM

I think a call is definitely a good play, especially since you had reasonable confidence that there was not a raise coming behind you. The odds you will be getting should you flop a set, due to the multitude of limpers, certainly make the value of the hand go up. Further, you have position for the balance of the hand. If you flop poorly, then just fold out then. A re-raise as Mr. Sklansky suggests also holds some merit if you feel it will thin the field to heads up between you and the original raiser and you have some sense that her raise may have been a function of late position (ie. you believe you are not already crushed by AA).
Old 12-19-2003, 12:31 AM

Is this a trick question? This is an easy call, especially since it looks like you're going to have at least four others with you to see the flop. Although one would think that your implied odds have been cut down by the raise, they may actually have increased, since one or more of the others are going to be more likely to be tied to the pot, especially if the right overcard gives someone TP.

I played a hand earlier tonight at Paradise 1/2 (yeah, I know it's not 30-60) where I coldcalled with 88 after the raiser and three other coldcallers, and three additional players coldcalled after me! The flop came 38Kr, checked to me, I bet, a few callers, AK man checkraised me and then capped my 3-bet, as we trapped and dragged a few others along. I netted 17BB on that hand, which played out exactly how you want the hand to play when you coldcall with your medium pocket pair.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:34 AM

In addition, any time you're the unfortunate victim of a set-over-set you're going to lose a lot of money. No way around it.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:25 AM

no they're not actually.. if you hit a set then his odds are reduced by 1/3.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:59 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

that's a post-flop piece of trivia. preflop you both have the same odds, and the odds of set over set are not the same as the odds of flopping a single set.