Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   30-60 Standard call or easy fold? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=57959)

PokerPrince 12-18-2003 04:48 AM

30-60 Standard call or easy fold?

I very rarely post any problems regarding preflop play, as I pride myself on that aspect of my game the most. This was a hand that after completion, I immediately wanted to post it and ask what you all thought.

Good 30-60 with a couple of generous fish. Surpisingly, three players limp in EP/MP. The CO, a player with tightish raising standards, raises. I'm on the button and peak down to see 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and after a few seconds, decide to make the call. Now, I cannot remember the last time I coldcalled a raise BTF before this hand came up. I was pretty sure at least one of the blinds would come along for the ride and didn't have any fear of a LimpReraise. What do you think of this call? Too loose or should I be making these more often with a few limpers and great position? Thanks.

PokerPrince

PuffsNutz 12-18-2003 05:23 AM

Re: 30-60 Standard call or easy fold?

It depends on the #1: The range of hands the raiser will
raise 2 solid limpers with...If for example he'll only
raise AA-TT, AK...you should fold..If he'll raise
hands like AQ off...AJs,ATs, then your probably okay.

#2)Does the first limper play tight and often limp
reraise AA?

If these conditions are not perfect Id personally fold.

David Sklansky 12-18-2003 05:24 AM

Folding is slightly wrong. The question is whether reraising is better than calling. It is when the first raiser is fairly loose and you may get it headup with him OR if you know they will all call and then check the flop.

PokerPrince 12-18-2003 06:08 AM

The three players that limped were pretty weak and not the type to limp reraise. They could all hold a wide variety of trashy hands. The raiser was one I consider to be tight in her standards for raising, meaning she probably held a hand I too would raise myself in her spot. Could be AA-99,AK,AQ,AJs,KQs and maybe even a few others in the mix. I weighed my options and decided to call and the deciding factors were this: 1. I had the button. 2. I felt one of the blinds, if not both would join the pot. 3. If I snag a set I will get paid off very nicely against this loose field. Basically a postive EV, I just don't know how much.

I did not however, consider reraising as you mentioned Mr.Sklansky. I do see some pros to this though and am trying to decide just what was the best course of action. This may be one of those hands where all three decisions are relatively close, although I'm still leaning towards a call. If there were only two limpers instead of three I would fold this hand BTW. Should that extra limper impact my action so much?

PokerPrince

David Sklansky 12-18-2003 06:15 AM

That one extra limper is just enough to take fold off the menu.

PokerPrince 12-18-2003 06:27 AM

LOL, good way of putting it. I was looking forward to seeing you jamming it up in the high limit section but alas, you weren't there. I wanted to introduce myself, but hey, there's always next trip. Surprised you weren't there though with all that juicy side action(although maybe you were there and I just didn't see you).

PokerPrince

Bubmack 12-18-2003 12:28 PM

Hmmmm, Sklansky says call - how do you argue with that?

I would have said fold - but now I'm wondering.

The raise of three limpers signals significant strength. There is obviously no way that you are playing a bigger pair than the raiser's - you are just hoping to be against two overcards in this spot.

It is very unlikely that you will win this hand unimproved. Although a flop raise should thin the field considerably if the board flops rags. I guess the 5-1 pot odds - with an expectation of better implied odds - justifies calling this hand in the hopes of improving on the flop. However, the preflop raise has certainly diminsihed the implied odds aspect of this hand.

Loose callers after the flop may well make it worth your while? I guess the excellent position over all of the limpers has pushed this fold into a call.

Interesting Post, Thanks.

Bubs

J.A.Sucker 12-18-2003 01:31 PM

Here's why calling is correct:

You have a hand that plays itself. If you flop a set, then you punish that guy in front of you if he has an overpair. The bets you collect from him postflop, coupled with the extra dead money from the limpers will make you money.

If the flop comes ragged, you can often win on the flop or turn, especially if no overpair is out (AQ/AJs/AK, as well as lots of other hands, like Axs or even 87s - people will raise to "buy the button"). I don't think that his raise means that he necessarily has a powerhouse hand, but he has a good one in a field.

If you get limp-reraised from somebody up front, then OK, you just come in for one more bet, knowing that you have to flop well. Not many people limp-reraise with AK. The only real issue is if it comes back to you for 2 bets and there's a 5 bet cap... then it becomes closer, I suppose, but I'm still likely gonna call for emotional reasons (if I flop a set and mucked the biggest pot of the night, then I'd feel sick).

wontons 12-18-2003 01:40 PM

you claim if you flop a set punish everyone and ur win huge..however if the raiser does have a premium pair AA-TT they have the same odds of you to hit a set..in which case biggest pot of the night you think belongs to you well wont unless that fourth 7 comes.

astroglide 12-18-2003 01:58 PM

you have a fundamentally flawed outlook on odds. his odds of hitting a set are independent of yours.