Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2004, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Dumbest rule in sports

At the professional level, the rule in golf where players must sign correct card. They have scorers with them for gods sake, what the hell are they doing.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:50 PM

From all sports:

The rule where you may not carry a weapon and attack the opposition with the weapon.

I mean, how stupid is THAT??!

Are you going to tell me that running the bases with a truncheon wouldn't be a better game? Or tennis with a Desert Eagle in your off-racquet hand (although this would eliminate the scintillating 2-handed backhand)?

Hockey would require no changes, obviously.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:50 PM

A player gaining possession of a completed pass must "execute a football move" in order to complete the pass.

A "football move"?

What language are they speaking?
Old 03-12-2004, 12:53 PM

I always thought that F1 drivers deemed to have driven outside the rules ought to be forced to repaint their teams' liveries in pink, in homage to the worlds worst-driving demographic.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:44 PM

The one in the NFL that requires a team scoring on the final play of regulation to try for a PAT, regardless of whether the came is no longer in doubt.

- I believe this rule was implemented in order to take the choice out of the coach's hands to shield him from accusations related to the betting line. In other words, most coaches (if not all) would just have the team leave the field, but the option was still there to kick the point. God forbid if in the rare event the team goes for the PAT effects the spread, the fingers would be pointed (like they were in the IceBowl where there were accusations that the TD was ordered to cover the spread, when a shord field goal would have ended it).

- Instead of risking injury and needlessly prolonging the game, just have the teams exit the field where the extra point would have no bearing on the game.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:54 PM

Not a huge fan of the baskeball rule that disallows a goal when a player puts the ball in, but has touched the ball while it is touching the rim.

I also think offsides in hockey and soccer serve to make the games less exiting; both games would be better if the players were more spread out and constantly had a scoring threat working near the goal.

Bastardization section: I hate the bar room 8-ball rule that requires a cue-ball scratch to be awarded to the opposing player BEHIND THE STRINGER. The rule is that it should be ball-in-hand. I am not sure how this rule became bastardized, but it can sometimes be advantageous to scratch rather than take a legitimate shot (or try for safety) What smells worse, is that the STRINGER rule usually prohibits one from shooting a ball that is also BEHIND the stringer (unless you bank from the far side). I have played where if you table scratch the 8, you lose...So every time the 8 was behind the stringer for your opponent, the goal would be to scratch and make him bank.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:00 PM

One more for the Brits: Professional darts. Before SPONSORS banned the practice, the players used to be able to smoke and drink (which was pretty much required) during the match. Television sponsors, however, required that this be banned. Now the darts-men (and women) have to go BEHIND a screen, backstage to partake in these libations.

Essentially, sponsors have adopted policies which have changed the flavor of the game.

- Source: Sports Illustrated (10-page, or so feature on darts in Spring, 2001).
Old 03-12-2004, 02:34 PM

i have to agree this is the dumbest thing ever, and it always seems like everyone in the world except me plays like that! it's ball in hand damnit! it should never be advantageous to scratch!
Old 03-12-2004, 02:38 PM

I still think the college football overtime, which completely changes not the rules, but the way the game is played, is the worst rule in sports.
Old 03-12-2004, 04:00 PM

Whoa, forgot about that one. I change my answer.