Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Most significant thing about the bot...

Over 325 $20+2 SNGs, my ROI is 28.5% and my ITM% is 44.6% using a simple all-in or fold method that involves playing no hands (I don't even watch the tables) prior to level 3. While to observers my strategy involves some daft pushing and a whole lot of folding/mindless post-flop play, the strategy works and I'm confident that with a few refinements at the 25/50 and 50/100 levels I can improve my ROI significantly.

Against someone (like me!) who can make adjustments to their model of your calling and pushing hand ranges, I don't see what you can do to defend against such a strategy. You just have to hope your model is more accurate than mine.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Over 325 $20+2 SNGs, my ROI is 28.5% and my ITM% is 44.6% using a simple all-in or fold method that involves playing no hands (I don't even watch the tables) prior to level 3. While to observers my strategy involves some daft pushing and a whole lot of folding/mindless post-flop play, the strategy works and I'm confident that with a few refinements at the 25/50 and 50/100 levels I can improve my ROI significantly.

Against someone (like me!) who can make adjustments to their model of your calling and pushing hand ranges, I don't see what you can do to defend against such a strategy. You just have to hope your model is more accurate than mine.

[/ QUOTE ] Try the strategy in a tougher game and I think you will be able to answer your own question.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:40 PM

If people stay out of the way during the first three levels (calling only with AA), it is eventually forced to gamble it up with an inferior stack. Most of its successes seem to come from rash calls in the early going. But, near the bubble, it becomes dangerous if it has some chips.

I'm still trying to digest what today means. Truly amazing.

GG
Old 02-26-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If people stay out of the way during the first three levels (calling only with AA), it is eventually forced to gamble it up with an inferior stack. Most of its successes seem to come from rash calls in the early going. But, near the bubble, it becomes dangerous if it has some chips.

I'm still trying to digest what today means. Truly amazing.

GG

[/ QUOTE ]

What worries me is that the strategy you presume saabpo exploits is very VERY similar to the standard low-stakes 2+2 strategy.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:20 PM

The only thing is that we widen up a bit in L1-L3, and we can play postflop if the blinds aren't too big (happens when people bust fast and stacks get big fast).

A better model would include preflop pocket pair limping to hit a set based on pot odds, and I'd also start pushing AK.

Plus, you let it push on the flop and turn with 2 pair or better (something to that extent).

In a PP tourney with only 800 chips and very quick blind increases, it should be very easy to program a bot that would win quite a bit of money on it's own.

Creating a bot of our own could allow us a lot of insight to beating the low-limits of Party, and also tinker with our play very easily too.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It appears to demonstrate that a player can be +$EV at $22 with preflop skills ONLY. This is pretty enlightening and significant, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence my consistent statements that a monkey can beat the lower limits at Party. Wonder if it's possible to 16 table them with rakeback, using a modified variant of this bot's strategy? Maybe.

But I reiterate: if you want to be a consistent, long term big winner 3 years from now, quit playing Party SNG's and go somewhere else (at least for a while) to learn how to play postflop. I think this is a big hole in the games of 90% of the STT forum that no one's bothered to post about because most of us are too busy quadding Party where it doesn't apply...and it's got a potential to bite everyone here right in the ass.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
go somewhere else (at least for a while) to learn how to play postflop

[/ QUOTE ] I'm not familiar at all w/ STT or MTTs, but I'd like to learn. Where would be the best place to play?
Old 02-27-2005, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...and it's got a potential to bite everyone here right in the ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because Party might change its structure or because the fish will go somewhere else (for whatever reason) that has a different structure?
Old 02-27-2005, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But I reiterate: if you want to be a consistent, long term big winner 3 years from now, quit playing Party SNG's and go somewhere else (at least for a while) to learn how to play postflop. I think this is a big hole in the games of 90% of the STT forum that no one's bothered to post about because most of us are too busy quadding Party where it doesn't apply...and it's got a potential to bite everyone here right in the ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that just a natural progression? That's why so many players come and go. They move on, the STT environment was interesting. They learned, mastered (enough), and moved on...

I'm sure after playing a 1,000 or 2,000 SNGs, 90% of the posters on the STT forum have branched out into the other 2+2 forums.

Winning the $22s LT isn't that great of a winning proposition, IMO.

Adanthar, if you're in the mood to give advice, I'm interested in learning what you think the best place to learn about post flop play. I always ask, but never get much for responses.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:23 AM

I think you make a good point, but I think you overstate the problem. I think most 2+2ers are smart enough to adapt to a different structure should Party decide to change their structure (and they should).