Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2004, 05:48 PM

Default Re: question about AKo midway through

I would be more likely to fold here, but it depends heavily on whether you think he would make this play with a worse Ace (ie. AQ, AJ). If yes, then push allin. If no, then fold. Most players would not raise an UTG-raising bigstack with AJ or worse, and many would just call or fold with AQ

He is very likely to call a push, getting great odds and having a hand strong enough to raise an UTG raiser. Against a range of hands AA-TT/AK, your chipEV equity is 0, even getting 1.5 to 1 pot odds, and if you’re reading 2+2 you should be able to find much better spots than that.

And don’t raise 6xbb – too much risk for reward.

--Greg
Old 09-23-2004, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you're gonna lay down to a re-raise why not only raise it up to $400? raising to $600 is only going to cost you $200 more if you fold, and it won't do anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wouldn't call 4x a minimum raise. that would be a 2x raise.

Maybe I'm a snob, but I hate minimum raises.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-23-2004, 10:36 PM

The 6x raise is what made this a tough decision. Your opponent has a big pair every time. And he's confident it's good. Most likely queens or jacks but you'll occasionally run into aces or kings too. It's still hard to fold after raising 6x, I think folding makes you look so weak that you have to push.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:19 PM

I hate this initial raise, too, but the important thing is that I really really hate his reraise.

On Party, there are four things it could be: AK, AA, KK or the rare QQ (or A8o from a complete clown, but you would have a read on him, right?) I might be misreading this and the raise may only be to 1K, in which case you have to call and hope you hit your ace...but if it's to 1600 I think hard, sigh and muck.