Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: My First Sexy (LC)

Its not the fact that you are defending here, its the fact that you are threebetting with a hand that probably isnt much, if at all any better than the stealers hand. He has a low pfr%, what is his steal percentage? Even if it is high which stealing hands are you doing well against with J high?
Old 10-22-2005, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop I wanted BB out of the hand against what looked like a blind steal - so probably a not very strong hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
90% of a 22/8's "stealing" hands beat jack high.

Easy fold from the SB. Call from the BB.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why are you threebetting preflop and on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
Preflop I wanted BB out of the hand against what looked like a blind steal - so probably a not very strong hand. On the flop I had an OESD and 2 overs (which may or may not have been good).

You guys aren't defending your blinds with a hand like J10? Is this too loose/Agg?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it depends on the player's % for steal attempts. Roughly, your fold SB to steal should be around 85%-88% or so I believe.

Some general guidelines I've used:

Pairs (depends on player, but generally most)
KJs+
KQ+
Axs (depends on the player for how low of a kicker I play)
A8+ (again, depends)

I guarantee I missed a lot but this is my general small blind defense standards. Whether to raise or call depends on the BB. I don't go as low as TJ offsuit
Old 10-22-2005, 02:35 AM

I'm glad this is generating some discussion. My FSB to Steal is about 88 for 2/4 right now.

I think it's time to dig through some of the blind defense threads. Thanks guys.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad this is generating some discussion. My FSB to Steal is about 88 for 2/4 right now.

I think it's time to dig through some of the blind defense threads. Thanks guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually surprised you fold 88%, I would have thought it would have been lower if you played JTo here. Maybe you should check pokertracker and post the hands you have defended with. IMO, I would rather defend with a hand like A8o than JTo. At least the A8 has showdown value with A high and is better than a large percentage of a stealer's Ace hands.

Lozing
Old 10-22-2005, 10:36 PM

i dont dislike the flop 3 bet at all like others here, however, the sb re-raise with j10 against a seemingly tight player seems like spewing with a losing hand.

On the river I do think you have to bet/3 bet instead of trying to go for the checkraise. If he has aces up he's going to raise you but if he's got a hand like K9 or K8 he's deffinately going to check behind but call a bet.