Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Hmm, not sure what to do with my AKo

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sarcasm detector . . . breakgin .. .can't... figure .. .. out!

[/ QUOTE ]
it ...was...a ...compliment!! its like they were playing with their cards face up for this guy!

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol, it was the "Do you play poker?" comment that threw me off. Seems like such an odd thing to say on a poker forum, unless you are trying to be condescending.

[/ QUOTE ]
hmm, nah i wasnt being condescending. obviously he plays poker, imagine a tone of voice like "nice pecs, do you work out?" lol.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So are you saying villain missed a bet on the river with KK?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was assuming villian has AK, but sb has us beat with a PP.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:51 PM

I think this is one of those over the long haul plays where you must fold on this turn. There are time where you might even fold the best hand or river-out and it be a winner, but not nearly often enough to make this +ev.

If you had a very good read on opponents ( played together several hours before) , might barely squeak out a marginal +ev turn call here, but still really slim I think.

Not only the capping, but an unpredictable blind hand in as well, ( i'm rambling to myself here, sorry ). Yeah, FOLD this hand. - I played 18 hrs. straight yesterday til 6 am. Got home at 7, and i am definitely a little muddled right now. Time to drink coffee and watch some tivo'ed TeeVee poker. Have a good day.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:53 PM

*grunch*

If a passive is capping here I simply peel the flop and drop the turn. A nice and easy check/call, check/fold line. I don't even really fancy hitting a king here. There are times when you have the aggressor tied or beaten (have seen a good few AQ hands played this way) but the SB is not folding his small pair here even if UTG is over-cooking his hand.

Edit: did not appreciate the queen on board. Even easier turn fold for me then.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A nice and easy check/call, check/fold line.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I do 99% of the time in situations like these, but I'm starting to think that I should be folding the flop more often, especially on boards like this.

My reasons:
1) if we discount our outs to 3 or so, we are just barely getting odds to call (because we know we won't call the turn UI). I think we are much more likely to have reverse implied odds than implied odds here - we could dump a bunch more money if we catch the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and someone makes their flush, we could pay off a set of Qs, or SB could even have a 2 here (not likely, but possible).

2) If we regular do the c/c c/f with UI overcards, then a thinking opponent will start always firing the second barrell at us. If he sees that we sometimes fold the flop when we showed strength PF, then when we call the flop later on he won't be able to put us so exactly on AK. The times we do call the flop with overcards (when things are more favorable for us, like having a BD draw) we may be able to get free cards on the turn or bluff out another AK who now puts us on a medium PP. If I'm going to fold to a bluff from another AK, I'd rather do it on the flop then the turn.

Does my thinking make sense?