Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 09:51 PM

Default Re: My roomate is a fish...should i tell him so?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just go up to him and say - "hey i read this book, it really helped me, you should check it out." then give him SSH or HOH and see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I give him Mike Caro's book of Poker Tells instead? Please? lol

[/ QUOTE ]

You want to really help him? Encourage him to focus on his studies so he can get a good job, make lots of money, and easily cover these minor gambling losses. He wins at life, you win at poker.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:08 AM

Doesnt he need to pay rent?
Old 09-20-2005, 02:45 AM

dorm roomate
Old 09-20-2005, 03:47 AM

I've got a roommate like this. I recently watched him turn $50 into $1800 on a small site playing 1/2, 2/4, and 5/10 NL cash games. From over his shoulder I watched him play a bit, and it was painfully obvious how bad he was: he never raised more than the minimum pre-flop, played trashy aces and kings from early position, etc. He's not even sure what pot odds are. I wanted to help him, but I didn't say anything when he was winning so that I didn't come off as being a know-it-all or a jealous dickhead. I just congratulated and high-fived him after every big pot he took down.

He asked me what he should do with the money when he was at his peak. I told him to cash out between $500 and a grand immediately to help out with bills and stuff, which he had been complaining about. He thought it was a good idea, but he wanted to get up to $2500 first and didn't have a Neteller account set up (he's only ever deposited into poker sites and never cashed out), so he played on. His attitude had become quite cocky as well. He lost it all in a day. He dropped a grand and then completely tilted off the rest.

I've shown him my poker library. I've given him a few tips here and there. I've shown him PokerTracker and some online resources. I've told him that he's a very poor player after he asked for an honest assessment. It doesn't seem to matter. He's not interested in learning and only sees easy money. He only thinks he played poorly when he was losing and that his rapid climb was due to his skill. You have to suspect that many people who play online poker are like my roommate. After swearing off poker for the rest of the school year, he deposited $150 into the same site a couple days later. I haven't heard any stories from him about it so I'm assuming it's gone as well. I guess the point of this rambling story is that I think you should tell your roommate he sucks, but I wouldn't bet the farm on him wising up.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just go up to him and say - "hey i read this book, it really helped me, you should check it out." then give him SSH or HOH and see what happens.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, that's what I say when I hand someone a copy of Dianetics.

But seriously, that's probably the best idea in this thread, and if he rejects that, well, you tried.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:31 AM

It won't, but it might demonstrate to him that there's a way to think about and play the game that he hadn't considered before, and it will put him on the right path.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:56 AM

Its extremely diffifult to tell someone that they are a bad player - they won't want to believe you.

I agree with the suggestion that you just give him a copy of SSHE and tell him that it really helped you.

Tell him that you think it might help him take his game to the "next level"

After that, its up to him.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:40 PM

I'd recommend approaching the friend much as you approached the issue here. You are concerned that he is unaware of the holes in his game. You care about whether a friend gets hosed or not. Offer assistance. If he blows you off, don't get insulted. He'll ask for help when he's ready.

Never loan him a dime.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:30 PM

After hearing the story about your roomate, I got chills of excitement up my spine. It's nice to hear accounts of players who are not 2+2er types who think they are great, but do nothing to get better.

I guess I'm callous and have ice in my veins, but I love knowing that these people make lots at the lower limits, then come up to the higher limits, just to be busted...

Note to OP: tell the guy how you feel. It's hard to see, but you actually damage your relationship much more by not telling him. Not to mention the possibility that he could develop an addiction.

Marlow
Old 09-20-2005, 05:36 PM

Challenge him to a lot of heads up matches....you get best of both worlds...he will realize he sucks faster and you will get rich....

if u care about him tell him hes a fish tho.