Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2005, 07:46 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Play A Hand With The Triple Threat (Results & Comments)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Getting all your chips in as a favorite doesn't mean squat.

[/ QUOTE ] I thought it meant you win more.

this isnt a deep stacked tourney, you want to get ur money in against pair+flush draw etc.
i think the turn play is different but if ur gonna say u dont want to put more money in on the flop then u need to look at ur game and fix some leaks

with the way the hand played out i think i also fold the river but if a blank hits do u fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it means you win more, but I think that applies more to cash games, or in a tournament where you have your opponent dominated (such as your A/K vs. their A/Q)

In my situation, I was likely no more than a 3:1 favorite, which is nice, but not a lock. And there was little point in giving up my positional advantage and committing myself to the pot with a non-nut hand, because if I had, it was pretty obvious the Villian was ready to call with his hand (likely a pair and straight/flush draw). And I would have most certainly lost.

Why committ the remaining half of my stack when it's obvious I'm going to get called if I'm beat or if my opponent has outs. I gain very little in that situation, except to give up my advantages to my opponent and allow him to bust me out. Holding onto half my stack was more important at that stage in the tournament, than winning an additional 760 chips from Villian.

A blank on the river, I would have called his push, viewing it as an attempt to push me out with a missed draw. But the river just provided too many ways for my hand to be beat.

Also, I'm not totally against betting more on the flop, but I expect my opponent with the drawing hands + likely pair to call. So I'm just building a bigger pot that's more difficult for me to get away from.

Did you see the Gigabet A/K vs. Q/10 hand where the flop was A/K/J/ ? Most everyone who posted in those threads would have gone broke (yours truly included) while Gigabet dodged that bullet.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3:1 favorite

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
And I would have most certainly lost.

[/ QUOTE ] plz stop being results oriented
and again this isnt deep stacked tourney
Old 10-31-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why committ the remaining half of my stack when it's obvious I'm going to get called if I'm beat or if my opponent has outs.

[/ QUOTE ] u have outs also, and if u jsut call down his draw u lose valuewhen he misses and shuts down on river
Old 10-31-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If my opponent has a pair with a flush draw or straight draw, it's a $10 tourney, and plenty of these players will not respect whether they're getting proper odds to call or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're missing the point of giving opponents bad odds. The point isn't that they will fold, the point is that it's win/win for you.

If they fold, you won a pot. If they call, they are making a mistake.

If you had given the villain bad odds and he called here, you gain according to the fundamental theorem and as a poker player that's really the best you can do at the table.

By giving opponents improper odds you'll turn yourself into the house in a game of rouletter or blackjack or whatever (i.e. the numbers will be in your favour and on a long time line you'll end up making a profit).

That's why you should have bet more on the flop.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:52 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3:1 favorite

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]
And I would have most certainly lost.

[/ QUOTE ] plz stop being results oriented
and again this isnt deep stacked tourney

[/ QUOTE ]

True, this isn't deep-stacked, but it's not a turbo either. And 760 chips with 10/20 blinds is manageable (again, I made it to 97th out of 641, so I was able to recover).

Had I been out of position, my bets would have been larger. But with position, I didn't feel the need to put all my money in when I was likely going to be called and couldn't get out.

If the river blanks, villian might check and I can either bet or check and see what happens. The Jack on the river was unfortunate, but it allowed me to get out without being eliminated.

And A/J was still a very possible holding for my opponent, as well as suited connectors that made the flush (perhaps his check-raise was an attempt to protect a weaker flush from the naked Ace).
Old 10-31-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If my opponent has a pair with a flush draw or straight draw, it's a $10 tourney, and plenty of these players will not respect whether they're getting proper odds to call or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're missing the point of giving opponents bad odds. The point isn't that they will fold, the point is that it's win/win for you.

If they fold, you won a pot. If they call, they are making a mistake.

If you had given the villain bad odds and he called here, you gain according to the fundamental theorem and as a poker player that's really the best you can do at the table.

By giving opponents improper odds you'll turn yourself into the house in a game of rouletter or blackjack or whatever (i.e. the numbers will be in your favour and on a long time line you'll end up making a profit).

That's why you should have bet more on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

My opponent didn't have the proper odds based on my flop bet to call, so he did make a mistake.

Also, if I bet smaller, I encourage the weaker holding to stick around (but still with improper odds) and make more money off him.

If I bet too big, he goes away and I miss an opportunity to snag more chips from my premium holding (and hands like that don't come all that often, so I was trying to wring more chips out of Villian)

And if he's on A/J and slow-playing, a pot-sized bet might be met with a check-raise (since he figures I'm ready to committ) while a smaller bet from me is met with a call because he doesn't want to push me out (thus it affords me the ability to outdraw my opponent if I am beat)
Old 10-31-2005, 07:59 PM

maybe another poster can explain some of ur reasoning flaws cuz im not very good at expressing myself sumtimes
Old 10-31-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe another poster can explain some of ur reasoning flaws cuz im not very good at expressing myself sumtimes

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it the platinum "toof"?
Old 10-31-2005, 08:19 PM

You donked this hand. This is a flop that you can't bet weakly; a full-pot or near full-pot bet is very necessary here. Don't be sad if he folds because he's either drawing live (with an A) or not going to put any more money in the pot anyway (small PP, suited non-diamond connectors).
Old 10-31-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it the platinum "toof"?

[/ QUOTE ]yea man whatever you say, u obviously are missing what everyone in these threads have been telling u so why should i even bother